Whidbey Island, Washington
Organic Farm School
Growing farmers, food, and community
Assistant Farm Manager position available
The Organic Farm School (OFS) is seeking candidates for a full-time Assistant Farm Manager position. Successful candidates will assist and report to the OFS Farm Manager in accomplishing the crop production and land stewardship goals of the OFS farm while simultaneously leading and training OFS students in these farm activities.
The Organic Farm School provides experiential education to aspiring farmers on how to start and manage their own small farm through classes, group discussions, self-reflection and co-management of the OFS Student Farm. The 10-acre OFS Student Farm grows organic produce for a CSA program, farmers market and local grocers as well as produces and markets organic vegetable seed, poultry, lamb and hay. The ideal Assistant Farm Manager will be skilled in organic vegetable and seed crop production, will be a positive and effective crew leader and mentor, and have some mixed livestock and forage production experience.
The primary responsibilities of this position includes:
- Assist the Farm Manager in all aspects of the operation and management of the OFS Farm. The farm operation includes organic vegetable and seed crop production, poultry and livestock production, hay production, cover cropping, direct marketing and site and infrastructure maintenance (45%)
- Lead and train student farmers in all farm activities (45%)
- Assist in the administration of the farm as well as the on-going development, implementation and evaluation of the OFS farmer training program and training farm (10%)
Qualifications and experience
The Assistant Farm Manager position requires strong farming, leadership and communication skills. The ideal candidate will have experience with team leadership and instruction, will have worked on and helped manage a successful diversified farm operation and will be a highly organized team player. Qualified candidates will be comfortable with tractors and farm equipment, proficient in most crop production activities, have a positive attitude and communicates well with staff and students. Ideal candidates also bring other skills such as mechanics, construction, research management, etc.
The following are required:
- Minimum 3 years experience working on a commercial organic farm.
- Minimum 3 years experience in leadership or teaching positions.
Responsibilities of the positions
Assist in the management and operation of the OFS student farm’s infrastructure, production and marketing
- Assist in efficiently implementing production plans for crops, livestock and forage with farmer-trainees
- Assist in implementing a farm marketing plan that includes CSA, farmers market and wholesale outlets
- Assist in implementing soil improvement and climate-friendly farming practices
- Assist in maintaining the farm’s equipment and infrastructure to effectively support the production goals of the program
- Assist in maintaining accurate records as needed and help manage organic certification
- Assist in managing farm research projects
Educational training of student farmers in the field
- Train and guide farmer-trainees in farm tasks on the student farm
- Evaluate farmer-trainee progress and offer constructive guidance
- Provide leadership in creating a positive social environment for farmer-trainees
Administration of the OFS farm and education program
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with other staff, program partners and the public
- Assist in creating annual and long-term work plans and budgets for the farming and educational aspects of the OFS
- Assist in managing farm and education budgets including tracking expenses and income
Compensation and schedule
- This is a salaried position (not hourly). Salary commensurate with experience (starts at $30K/yr)
- Full-time. Generally M-F but flexibility is required to cover occasional evening/weekend responsibilities.
- Location: South Whidbey Island, Washington
- Major holidays and 15 days personal time off (appropriately timed for minimal disturbance of program)
The Organic Farm School is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law. We offer a competitive salary and the opportunity to join an organization whose mission is to build sustainable local food and farm systems through education and training.
Please familiarize yourself with our program by visiting http://organicfarmschool.org.
Qualified candidates please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will begin screening applications as they are received, and will continue to review applications until the position is filled. Position ideally starts January 1, 2018. We appreciate all documents sent in PDF or Word format and look forward to receiving your information.