MAINE COAST HERITAGE TRUST
GENERAL MANAGER, ALDERMERE FARM/ERICKSON FIELDS
Maine Coast Heritage Trust is looking for a general manager for Aldermere Farm and Erickson Fields in Rockport, Maine. We need a person who is passionate about community conservation and agriculture. The manager supervises a professional staff, and must have hands on farming experience, as well as budgeting, communications, community engagement and excellent people management skills. This is a job for someone who wants to jump in, become engaged, and support the work of the Farm, and of Maine Coast Heritage Trust.
Under the general supervision of the Director of Stewardship, and working with a professional staff, both at the Farm and throughout Maine Coast Heritage Trust, manages all aspects of operations and programming for Aldermere Farm and Erickson Fields.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manages the land and resources of Aldermere Farm and Erickson Fields, including maintaining the Farm’s blue ribbon herd of cattle and its many buildings and performing tasks such as haying, wood cutting, snow removal, shingling, and other light carpentry on a seasonal or year-round basis.
- Supervises management staff at Aldermere Farm and Erickson Fields.
- Develops and implements programs and projects that further MCHT’s mission and meet community objectives. Identifies and creates programs related to agriculture, community well-being, etc.
- Markets and sells cattle, beef, semen, hay, vegetables and farm equipment.
- Develops and manages a budget of over $785,000 for Aldermere Farm and Erickson Fields. Approves most expenditures and participates in fundraising efforts.
- Establishes and maintains effective public, consumer, and customer relations. Establishes and maintains MCHT’s presence in the community and strives to build community good will and respect for the Trust whenever possible.
- Hires, trains, and supervises all Farm staff to ensure that responsibilities are carried out in an effective and timely manner. Assigns work and reviews performance.
- Performs special projects and other related duties as required, directed, or as the situation dictates.
- Long work days, including night and weekend work, are expected.
Supervises the staff at Aldermere Farm and at Erickson Fields. Supervisory responsibilities include interviewing and selection, training and development, adherence to safe working practices, scheduling, counseling, discipline, termination, evaluating performance, and recommending pay increases.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field with seven to ten years of experience in farming and operations management and communications. Master’s Degree helpful.
- Ability to promote and maintain positive public relations and to interact with a wide variety of people.
- Working knowledge of and on the ground experience with farm operations, budget development and administration and small business functions. Cattle breeding experience is very important.
- Strong planning, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to effectively oversee and supervise staff and operations.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to effectively operate computers and assigned software.
- Physical ability sufficient to perform required tasks, including farm work (haying, tractor operation, cattle management).
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Some work is performed in an office environment in an old house on the Farm which may be cool in the winter. Operates computer, printer, projector and other office equipment.
Land and resource management is performed outdoors in all weather conditions and requires frequent walking, climbing, bending, and lifting. Operates tractor, wood splitter, truck, and other equipment, and handles cattle, hay, etc. Ability to lift hay bales weighing up to 75 pounds and bales averaging 50 pounds on a repetitive basis. Able to operate a chainsaw to fell trees. Will be required to work with cattle and an aggressive bull possibly weighing 2000 pounds. May be called in at any time of day/night for farm emergencies.
REQUIREMENT: To fulfill the duties of this position, on-farm housing is provided and acceptance is required.
This is a permanent, full-time position with a benefits package including health insurance, vacation time, and retirement.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “General Manager” in the subject line.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: October 14, 2017
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer, as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis
Maine Coast Heritage Trust values diversity and we are an Equal Opportunity Employer