Troy, New York
Farm to School Organizer
About Capital Roots – Capital Roots is striving to create a more vibrant and equitable food system in New York’s Capital Region. We work to reduce the impact of poor nutrition on public health in New York’s Capital Region by organizing community gardens, providing healthy food access, offering nutritional and horticultural education for all ages and coordinating urban greening programs in Albany, Rensselaer, Schenectady and southern Saratoga Counties. Our mission is to nourish healthy communities by providing access to fresh foods and green space for all.
This full-time position provides an exciting opportunity to work in the rapidly developing field of Farm-to School. Candidate will work closely with staff deeply knowledgeable of local food system, but will be actively involved in program creation and managing relationships with partners. Requires an organized and self-motivated candidate committed to local food. We are looking for someone with experience in project management, who can work as well alone as they do in team settings.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 1-2 years of professional work experience preferred.
- Excellent computer and communication skills are
- Clean driving record required
- Must have a positive attitude, high energy level, ability to work with a diverse community and possess a genuine interest in Capital Roots’
- Develop and maintain relationships with several school districts and dozens of farm partners
- Serve as primary school district contact
- Identify and help mitigate barriers to Farm to School for these districts and farms
- Work closely with Capital Roots food hub staff and partners to avoid duplication of services
- Connect districts to resources to increase local food purchases
- Work with school administrators, food service directors and suppliers to implement the program
- Maintain aspects of project data collection and grant rep
- Assist in the creation and delivery of local food surveys, tastings and trainings
- Food service/safety
- Knowledge of school systems/ bureaucracies
- Farm and/or food advocacy
- Produce distribution
SALARY & BENEFITS:
- This position is a full-time position (40 hours per week) paid at an hourly rate of $13.00/hr.
- Comprehensive health care coverage with fully covered employee premiums and low-cost co-pays and dedu
- Generous time off every year that includes paid holidays, vacation & sick time, and personal day
- Employer funded pension plan – company contributions begin after 2 years of employment
- Eligibility for the federal government’s Public Student Loan Forgiveness program
- Flexible work envi
To learn more about Capital Roots, go to www.capitalroots.org. Capital Roots is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating a multicultural organization. We actively seek a diverse pool of candidates, especially candidates of color. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We will not discriminate in our hiring on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or disability.
Send cover letter and resume (no calls please!) to:
Matthew Schueler, Grow Center Planner Capital Roots
594 River Street, Troy NY 12180
Or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org