Crystal Spring Farm is seeking full-time Assistant Manager for 2018.
Crystal Spring is certified organic family farm in Brunswick Maine growing produce for our community for over 15 years. The 195 acre farm grows 15 acres of vegetables, 72 acres of wild blueberries, 60 acres of hay/baleage and a dozen pigs. We grow 10 months of the year and market through our on-farm CSA, delivered shares and wholesale accounts. The farm prides itself on our high quality and diverse offering of crops. Each season’s success rests upon the work of the crew, extensive planning/organization and using machinery to help us work quickly while saving wear and tear on our bodies. Working side by side, we share the knowledge that makes a successful season while having a good time doing it.
An assistant manager will be involved, at least to some extent, with all aspects of our farming operation but will take a leadership role in field crew management including harvest, mechanical transplanting and weed control with opportunities to be involved in field preparation, field and greenhouse seeding, blueberry production, seasonal rotations, cover cropping and crop planning.
All crew members are encouraged to participate in MOFGA and Maine cooperative extension field events and seminars during the season as our work schedule permits to enhance their education on the farm. Year end conference fees and lodging expenses are covered by the farm for continuing employees.
The assistant manager will work 5 days a week and every other Saturday March-November with part-time hours available Dec-Feb.
- At least two full seasons of vegetable farm production experience with demonstrated tractor/implement experience and reference(s).
- A valid driver’s license and a clean driving record.
- Strong organizational skills, with particular attention to details and efficiencies.
- Demonstrated physical strength and motivation to maintain focus for the season.
- Good interpersonal skills, clear communication style and a sense of humor.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team. As a crew leader, the assistant manager will be guiding apprentices and hourly employees while communicating with the farmer to organize the operation as a whole.
- This position is best suited for a self-motivated person who wants to pursue a career in farming.
Time frame and Compensation:
Flexible start date February- early March preferred. This position goes through the third week of November. Option available to work part-time through the winter after one season.
We offer $12-$15/hr. plus a week of paid vacation.
To apply send a cover letter, resume and references by email: email@example.com