Assistant Farm Manager Ripley Farm
Location: Dover-Foxcroft, Maine (40 miles west of Bangor, Maine) Website: www.ripleyorganicfarm.com
For questions regarding this position please contact Gene Ripley at email@example.com.
About Ripley Farm: Ripley Farm is a five-acre MOFGA Certified Organic farm located in Dover- Foxcroft, Maine. We cultivate a wide diversity of vegetables and perennial nursery stock, which we sell primarily through our Summer CSA, our Winter CSA, and wholesale accounts. Our mission is to grow and deliver the healthiest crops to our Maine customers and rebuild the tradition of seasonal eating. If you are interested in a farming career to produce healthy food, this is the job for you.
Work Description: Full-time, year-round position for a hardworking person who is passionate about making a career in sustainable agriculture. The Assistant Farm Manager works closely alongside the owners to manage and complete the varied jobs of organic crop production including to:
- Prepare ground, plant and cultivate vegetables and perennials Propagate seedlings for transplanting to fields
- Harvest, wash and pack vegetables and perennials for sale Supervise farm crew employees
- Deliver products to customers Record field and harvest activities Maintain equipment and facilities Build new infrastructure
- Plan growing season
Compensation and Hours: $12.00-$15.00 per hour starting rate, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The job averages to 40 hours per week year-round (50 weeks per year). Shifts in excess of 8 hours plus weekend and evening work may be required during the peak season, which may be balanced with slightly reduced winter hours.
Overtime hours are paid at time-and-a-half. We offer Workers Compensation.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to continually develop their knowledge, skills and abilities in all aspects of managing a small-scale organic farm. We will hold an annual performance review with an opportunity for pay raise based on the results.
Note: Thanks to farming here for nearly 10 years, we have a strong network of friends and customers in the Dover- Foxcroft area. We are happy to use our contacts to help you find affordable housing within 15 miles of the farm.
- 2 years small-scale vegetable farming experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (i.e. Excel and Word)
- Knowledge of basic carpentry, including the fundamentals of building such as measuring, marking, cutting, nailing, and tools.
- Experience operating a tractor
- Knowledge of organic farming practices
- Experience farming in New England or other cold climate locations
- Experience managing or supervising personnel or interns
- Experience in the building and construction trades
The Successful Candidate will…
- Have the ability to use and maintain small-scale agricultural tools, equipment and machinery; Exercise good judgment and demonstrate initiative and active engagement in the work; Work well independently and in team environment;
- Demonstrate excellent reliability and punctuality; Demonstrate the ability to prioritize and organize details;
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills and mathematical skills.
Position Special Requirements
- Must possess a valid class C driver’s license, a clean driving record, and have reliable transportation
- Must be able to competently operate a vehicle with standard transmission
Farming is physically rewarding and challenging work. We care about our employees’ safety and well being and have developed the following information to reflect the reality of the job’s expectations. With or without reasonable accommodation, the successful candidate must be able to work in all weather conditions including extreme heat, sun, cold, rain, snow, wind, and with many biting insects around to:
- Maintain a fast and accurate working pace all day; Move objects up to 50 pounds repeatedly;
- Spend long hours squatting or kneeling; Perform repetitive and monotonous tasks.
How to Apply:
We are accepting applications beginning January 1, 2018 until the position is filled. Applicants must be able to appear for a working interview on the farm. Please send completed applications to Gene at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following items:
- A cover letter addressing each of the required and preferred qualifications
- A resume that must include the names of previous employers, duration worked, previous job titles, and primary responsibilities
- Three work-related references with job title and contact information
- For questions regarding this position please contact Gene Ripley at email@example.com.
- No phone calls, We will not consider incomplete applications.
What our employees and customers say about Ripley Farm:
“Working for and with Ripley Farm owners, Gene and Mary Margaret, was by far my best farming experience to date. Their attention to detail, fun loving sense of humor, work ethic, and ability to both teach and to listen is something that really inspired me as a person and a farmer. While I was there, they included me in everything, and made me feel like an extremely valuable member of Ripley Farm. Other farms I worked on never quite included me on all the little details that really pull a farm together, but the Ripley’s really made an effort to do just that. I can confidently say they are some of the best farmers, teachers, and friends I know.” Carmen Allen,
Assistant Farmer 2015-17
“Five years ago, we discovered Ripley Farm’s CSA program and have never looked back! The produce is outstanding, the quality is first rate and the diversity and quantity is generous. Perhaps equally important is the professionalism of management. In addition to being warm, caring and honest people, it is very apparent that Gene and Mary Margaret put their hearts into their work. And we as CSA subscribers are the beneficiaries.” Ben and Mary Sue Henszey, CSA members
“As long-time members of MOFGA, we very much appreciate the standards to which Gene and Mary Margaret adhere in their growing practices… Summer wouldn’t be summer without our weekly trip to wonderful Ripley Farm where Gene and Mary Margaret and their staff are smiling as we arrive!” Beth and Joe Ranagan, CSA members