Keene, New Hampshire
JOB TITLE: Farm Manager
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
STATUS: This is a full-time position. Average hours worked range from 40 hours. Schedule will vary based on season and work load.
JOB SUMMARY: The Farm Manager is responsible for ensuring the farm’s production is profitable and aligned with our vision and mission. This includes adhering to the principles of holistic land management, humane treatment of animals, and providing superior experience for visiting members of the public. The Farm Manager is responsible for ensuring the equipment, grounds and facilities are well maintained.
ESSENTIAL FUNTIONS: (Note: the following list of essential functions is not exhaustive, and may be supplemented as necessary.)
- Livestock: Develop and implement a livestock program using holistic management principles that is profitable and serves a demonstration for other farmers.
- Chores: Develop and implement a system for daily chores including care, grooming and feeding of animals. Provide supervision, training and support for volunteers and staff to deliver exceptional care for livestock and farm animals. Provide relief milking for the dairy operation on a regular basis.
- Draft Horses: Develop a series of programs that increases revenue generated from the farm’s draft horses such as hay/sleigh ride experience, workshops and demonstration.
- Feed: Produce hay seasonally to provide feed for livestock at Stonewall Farm (providing farm has access to haying equipment) or source feed from other farms. Manage feed expenses by procuring feed in most economical manner.
- Maple Sugar Production: Assess the farm’s maple sugar production operations, make recommendations to improve efficiency and profitability of operations. Manage the maple production operation from setting up lines, collecting, boiling and bottling sap.
- Equipment: Develop and implement a facilities and equipment maintenance schedule adhering to manufacturer recommendations for routine maintenance and repair. Ensure all equipment is properly stored and safety plans are in place to ensure safety of all employees and visitors to the farm. Maintain registration and inspections schedule for all farm vehicles.
- Facilities Maintenance: Develop and follow a routine maintenance schedule to ensure buildings are properly maintained, adhere to all relevant safety and building codes. This includes the dairy, horse barn, equipment sheds, sugar house, and small animal sheds. Coordinate with outside contractors as needed to complete work according to Stonewall Farm policies.
- Grounds: Ensure the grounds are well maintained and represents the farm in a positive manner. This includes the driveways, forest, trails and pastures. Coordinate and assist in snow removal for the entire property along with the Farm Hand.
- Education: Teach education programs for school groups, farmer education workshops and the general public related to livestock, pastures management, maple sugaring and draft horses.
- Business Plan Development: Ensure the farm’s production generates a profit by working with the ED to develop a business plan and budget that identifies sources of revenue, expenses and then monitors financials on a regular basis ensure production is on track to meet goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: All employees of Stonewall Farm are responsible for working toward the organization’s mission and all goals of the organization. All employees are responsible for following policies and procedures of Stonewall Farm. Employees are not permitted to use farm equipment or assets for personal use or gain or loan/sell equipment with exception of benefits outlined in the Employee Handbook. Breeding and sale of livestock for personal use or benefit is strictly prohibited. Doing so is grounds for immediate termination. Confidentiality must be maintained at all times.
We expect you are physically able to perform your duties and responsibilities as identified in this job description.
- Mental/visual (mind/eye/hand coordination)
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions
- Climbing up to various heights
- Driving (must have dependable transportation)
- Lifting up to and including 75lbs.
- Operating machinery and equipment
Applicants can send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.