Cranbury, New Jersey
Organic Farm Manager – Central New Jersey
Farm Manager with minimum 3 years of experience in vegetable production sought for a 40 acre transitional organic farm.
Snapping Turtle Farm in Cranbury, New Jersey is a vegetable crop farm in its second year of operation. We are currently transitioning to organic with certification expected in 2018. We are looking for a farm manager to work with the owner to grow area under production from 2 acres to 10 ten acres over the next few years. In addition to the skills and requirements listed below, the successful candidate is expected to assist with planning and overseeing the build out of new farm infrastructure.
Applicants with education (formal and informal) in agriculture and other select areas will be given special consideration.
- Knowledge of sustainable, organic and conventional farming practices
- Previous experience in farming of fresh market vegetables
- Minimum of High school degree or equivalent
- Good communication and recordkeeping skills
- Experience in managing farm labor
- Bilingual in Spanish/English is a plus
- Safely and skillfully operating tractors, farm equipment, and delivery trucks
Duties: duties will include (but are not limited to):
- Assist owner in planning and implementation of new packinghouse and equipment storage facilities
- Assist in hiring and managing schedules for farm crew members (production, harvest, and packinghouse)
- Management of all farm labor force (production, harvest, and packinghouse)
- Execution and management of fertilizer, irrigation, pesticides and cultural practices
- Management and maintenance of farm equipment
- Managing a detailed and well planned crop schedule for year round production of fresh and storage crops
- Participating in and directing staff in the timely completion of necessary tasks (hand weeding, irrigation, installing trellises, etc)
- Managing irrigation on the farm
- Commitment to organic, natural, sustainable, and organic principles
- Excellent understanding of an organic farm operation including certification
- Ability to work 7 days a week during peak production and harvest periods
- Must be physically capable of working long days and lifting 40+ lbs
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License with a satisfactory motor vehicle record
- Three professional references, with a strong preference for agricultural references are required. References may be contacted to verify information.
- Minimum 2-year commitment
Salaried full time position. Compensation commensurate with experience. Great opportunity for the right candidate who will have a say in the general direction of the operation and possibility to participate in profit sharing based on performance.
Application Process: Applications will be accepted and reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Please submit a resume, three references, and a cover letter for consideration to email@example.com attention Allison Akbay, Snapping Turtle Farm