Palm Beach County, Florida
COMMUNITY FARM DIRECTOR
The Community Farm Director is responsible for community farm production and coordinating educational and outreach programming for the farm at Arden. She/he will manage the staffing requirements for the site, including seasonal interns and volunteers, and is responsible for hiring and managing the farm crew, including the assistant farm manager.
The Community Farm Director serves as a local food ambassador and ensures that the daily farm operations will uphold the values at Arden in providing fresh, healthy food and farm-based community and educational activities to residents and community members.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement a farm management plan: crop selection, planting schedules, weed management, fertility management (cover cropping, compost, crop rotation, etc.), pest and disease management, and irrigation design, maintenance and management
- Develop and maintain farm infrastructure
- Hire and direct the management of staff, interns and volunteers
- Coordinate harvests, manage post-harvest handling and ensure product quality control
- Manage vegetable, fruit, herb and flower production and distribution
- Manage all production-related tractor work
- Purchase farm supplies and seeds
- Maintain detailed farm records
- Oversees all farm activities including farm tours, programs and events
- Coordinate farm outreach into community as local food ambassador
- Maintain a clean, safe, and organized work environment
- 3-5 years farming experience; employee management experience
- Experience with all aspects of daily farm activities, including but not limited to tractor operation, cultivation, organic pest and disease control, harvest, post-harvest handling and distribution, marketing
- Commitment to organic agriculture
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs and perform work outdoors in all weather conditions
- 2 or more years farm management experience
- Experience farming in Florida
- Experienced operation of tractors and other farm equipment
- Excellent communication skills
- Clean driving record and licensed to drive in Florida
Pay scale is commensurate with experience, length of contract, and demonstrated ability to manage employees and increase production/revenue.
Please send cover letter and resume to Monica Hollins at email@example.com.