Pocantico Hills, New York
Stone Barns Center
Stone Barns Center for Food and Agriculture is a nonprofit organization on a mission to create a healthy and sustainable food system. We are working to develop a culture of eating based on what farms need to grow to build healthy soil and a resilient ecosystem. In our quest to transform the way America eats and farms, we convene changemakers, educate food citizens, train farmers, and develop agroecological farming practices.
Stone Barns Center has an immediate opening for a full-time Grazier. This position reports to the Grasslands Manager. The Grazier will oversee all management and operations associated with the health and welfare of all ruminant species in our intensive 100% grass-fed system. The pastures cover approximately 330 acres of grasslands.
The Grazier is responsible for managing of all aspects of production associated with the Center’s multispecies grazing program across all grasslands in accordance with a Conservation Action Plan. The Grazier will be responsible for the oversight of intensive rotational grazing plans for cattle, sheep and goats, including all labor, animal records and tracking programs. S/he will be responsible for coordinating grazing schedules, mowing/haying and stockpile systems. S/he will be responsible for the breeding and record keeping of sheep flocks and the associated lambing program, the cattle finishing program and the processing of sheep and goats.
The Grazier must have experience with large ruminant animals and a clear understanding of grassland and pasture ecosystems management. This individual will work within an integrated team of farmers, researchers and other experts to further the development of a resilient agroecological system, explore symbiotic relationships between animals, plant-base and soil ecology, contribute to farm innovation and experimentation, and serve as an expert practitioner and Center spokesperson.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive grazing plan
- Oversee the care and welfare of farm sheep flocks including breeding, lambing, medical and grazing records
- Oversee the care and welfare of finish stock (cattle and goats)
- Work in association and coordination with the Ranger (managing pigs and poultry) as needed
- Manage an Assistant Grazier
- Direct apprentices, interns and volunteers as needed
- Oversee and maintain of all fencing, tools and equipment related to grazing operations
- Manage budget and expenses associated with grazing operations
- Support the development and execution of the production plan with the Farm Director
- Coordinate the sales schedule of cattle, sheep and goats in accordance with the production plan
- Provide seasonal production reports for each species
- Act as a spokesperson for grazing systems and for the Center
Qualifications and Skills:
- Commitment to Stone Barns Center’s mission
- Previous experience with large ruminant animals at a production scale
- A clear understanding of grassland and pasture ecosystems management and of supplementary feeding
- Well organized, able to prioritize and manage a full and diverse workload, take initiative and be proactive
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Supervisory and staff management experience
- Professional maturity and strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent communications skills
Compensation: Stone Barns Center offers a salary commensurate with experience and comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, a 401k plan and paid time off. This is a full-time, exempt position.
To Apply: Please send a resume, cover letter and salary requirements to: email@example.com.
Stone Barns Center is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply.