DeForest Area Farmers’ Market Manager
|Reports To:||Employment Category:|
|Parks and Natural Resources Supervisor||Part Time|
This is a part-time position that will oversee the DeForest Area Farmers Market. This position is expected to work 400 hours per year. The position averages 11 hours/week for the 19 week market season plus limited additional hours during the off-season. Pay rate is $13.00/hour.
The Farmers Market is held every Tuesday from June 5 – October 16, 2018 from 3:00 to 6:00 PM. The Market Manager is expected to attend every market. Market coordination hours may be performed at home. Prompt responses to phone calls and emails are required; a Village issued cell phone and email address will be provided.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Market Logistics & Vendor Coordination
- Arrive at market grounds by 2:00 pm and stay through the entire market.
- Set-up and take-down market information tent and signage. Maintain the market tent in a neat and professional manner.
- Collect vendor fees and provide receipts.
- Enforce rules including no solicitation and vendor product mix.
- Plan monthly special events with variety of activities and within budget.
- Maintain music calendar, pay musicians, keep in contact with musicians as needed.
- Maintain schedule of weekly vendors – ensure a full and diverse market with limited empty spaces.
- Maintain contact lists of vendors, non-profits and musicians.
- Follow-up with vendor no-shows and enforce rules for missed, unexcused absences.
- Decide whether to assign unused spots to vendors looking for a single day spot.
- Resolve any issues that arise with individual vendors.
- Update vendor attendance spreadsheet and maintain market map.
- Send recruitment letter and vendor policies to existing and potential vendors.
Other Market Management
- Be a welcoming face for the market for vendors and customers.
- Work with committee and the Parks, Recreation and Natural Resources Department on developing budget and fundraising strategies.
- Provide suggestions and feedback on ways to improve the market; proceeding as approved to enact changes.
- As the main contact for all market emails and phone calls ensure all requests are answered promptly or referred to the appropriate person.
- Conduct SNAP EBT sales at the market tent. Collect used SNAP EBT vouchers from vendors at the end of each market and prepare report for their reimbursement.
- Maintain Facebook or other social media.
- Assist in sponsor and volunteer recruitment and recognition.
- Work with Village Public Relations on story ideas for market opening, special events, plus other articles.
- Develop and implement strategies for reaching local civic and community organizations to encourage promotion of the market, special events and the value of local foods. Attend selected meetings to promote the market and sponsor opportunities.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Well organized.
- Ability to handle conflict in a professional manner and enforce market rules.
- Ability to work independently and complete daily activities according to work schedule as assigned without immediate supervision.
- Ability to interact with the public in a positive and courteous manner.
- Must be self-motivated and responsible.
- Ability to set-up market on your own, including pop-up tents and signs.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
The Market is held outside under a variety of weather conditions.
FLSA: Non Exempt
This position description has been prepared to assist in defining job responsibilities, physical demands, working conditions, and skills needed. It is not intended as a complete list of job duties, responsibilities, and/or essential functions. This description is not intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The Village retains and reserves any and all rights to change, modify, amend, add or delete, from any section of this document as it deems, in its judgment, to be proper.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check, job related tests may be required.
The Village of DeForest is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the American Disabilities Act, the Village will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
For more details and information on how to apply, visit our website.