Spear Spring Farm, LLC 1.31.18
Job Description – Farm Labor
Spear Spring Farm is an historic 150-acre “organic practice” diversified farm dating back to 1736, located in Warren, Maine. The farm has been vacant for a few years and we are seeking a at least two individuals to help us bring the farm back into production. We will be planting a wide diversity of vegetables, flowers, perennials, and herbs, which we expect to sell primarily through our on site farm store, our buyer’s club, and wholesale accounts. We may also choose to add livestock and other farm activities down the road. We place a special emphasis on growing practices that are efficient and in harmony with the land and would love for people with a passion for sustainable agriculture and out of the box thinking to join our team. Since we are rebuilding, this is a great opportunity to see and participate in the shaping of a sustainable and profitable farm. If you want to work hard, eat well, love your job, and have fun doing it, then join us at Spear Spring Farm!
Timeframe: We are seeking to hire two full time employees: One position starts in late March and will help to get our greenhouse production up and running and one begins in mid-May through November 2018. There may be potential for continuing part-time work through the winter months.
Work description: Spear Spring Farm is a new endeavor to restore an historic farm and bring it back to beauty and full production. The primary job responsibilities of our farm workers are:
- Planting: seeds, seedlings, vegetables/shrubs/trees
- Weeding, fertilizing, maintaining fields and growing areas
- Helping to restore the farm (Store, Fields, Workshop, Roads, Etc.)
- Harvesting vegetables by hand
- Washing and packing vegetables for sale
- Possible delivery of vegetables
- Manning the farm store
- Tractor work
- Possible maintenance work, such as painting, building stone walls, landscaping, cleaning grounds (buildings, fields), some carpentry
- Possible care of livestock
- Pruning trees and orchard care
- Whatever else needs doing
Hours: The expectation is an average of 40 hours per week, with more work being required during peak season and less in the shoulder seasons. Additional hours may be available in May/June and September/October should you desire to increase your hours. Work hours are typically a 9-10 hour day at peak season between 6am and 6pm (somewhat flexible depending on what needs to get done) with a one-hour lunch break (bring your own) taken around midday.
Compensation: Between $10-$15/hr depending on skills and experience, with incentives and bonuses available for hard work and a great attitude. Housing in the form of a small “off-grid” bunkhouse (brand new!) will soon be available for the right person/people: with private bathroom (composting toilet and indoor shower) and solar electricity. The bunkhouse sleeps two people so consider that if you want to stay on farm, you may end up with a roommate. We are also open to the possibility of someone bringing a camper or tiny house to park on the land during the season.
Location: Warren is only 15 minutes from the ocean and the neighboring towns of Rockland and Damariscotta (great food, theaters, museums, and a vibrant local community), and only 25 minutes to Camden/Rockport. The farm boasts sweeping views of fields and the Camden Hills in the distance, 3 ponds, frontage on the St. George River and ample woods. There is a vibrant local food community, along with many area activities and festivals that make the MidCoast of Maine a great place to live and work!
Housing: Some on site housing may be available for the right person/people. We can discuss your housing needs. Reasonable rentals are also available in the area year round.
Pets: Well-trained, friendly pets are welcome with prior approval and at the owner’s discretion. There are two dogs on site at the farm (the manager’s all the time and the owners’ dog visits frequently). Spear Spring Farm is located on Rt. 1 in Warren – a busy road, where the speed limit is 55 and visitors to the farm pull through to visit the farm store. The road hazard is real and the safety of your pet must be your responsibility.
- Farming and manual labor experience preferred
- Tractor experience a plus
- Punctuality, honesty, reliability are required!
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Attention to detail
- Stamina to maintain fast and accurate working pace all day
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Valid driver’s license
- Reliable transportation
- Positive outlook and good sense of humor
How to apply:
No phone calls, please. We are accepting applications until the positions are filled and will only consider complete applications. If you are interested in working at Spear Spring Farm, please e-mail the following items to: email@example.com
- A one-page letter introducing yourself, describing your farm related experience, your availability (which days of the week you are able to work) and why you want to work at Spear Spring Farm…
- A list of recent/relevant work history (or a resume) including names of previous employers, duration worked, and primary job responsibilities
- Three work-related references with job title and contact information
We will respond to all completed applications that are received.