Capay Valley, California
Pasture 42 is a family run, 100-acre, direct-to-consumer, regenerative farm located in the Capay Valley in Yolo County, California. We specialize in pastured livestock including cattle, sheep, chickens, and pigs and also grow olives, hay, wheat, orchard fruit, and nuts.
GENERAL DEFINITION AND PURPOSE OF WORK:
Reporting to the farm owners, the dairy manager is responsible for most operational aspects of our small-scale, 100% grass-fed, raw Jersey cow dairy.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE POSITION:
The dairy manager is a full-time, year-round position. Work hours may fluctuate and are dependent on the time of year and farm needs. Our work is rooted in organic, regenerative agricultural practices, so the dairy manager should have a philosophical and operational agreement with such methods.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/ TASKS:
- Once-a-day milking of cows.
- Daily pasture rotation and supplemental feeding of cow herd.
- Maintaining cleanliness of milking and dairy facilities.
- Ensuring product safety.
- Cleaning milking equipment and milk jars.
- Bottling milk.
- Making yogurt and separating cream.
- Managing separation and feeding of calves.
- Planning cow breeding schedules.
- Overseeing birthing.
- Maintaining cattle health.
QUALIFICATIONS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Some knowledge of and experience with cattle and dairy.
- Knowledge of organic, pasture-based livestock husbandry.
- A valid drivers license and clean driving record.
- Must be a motivated, self-starter with a positive attitude
- Must be detail-oriented and food safety conscious.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both written and
- Exceptional multi-tasking, organizational and time management skills.
- Must love cows.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION:
Applicant must be comfortable working outside in physically demanding
environments, including extreme heat. Applicant must be able to lift 50 (+) pounds regularly.
Compensation includes hourly pay and the possibility of profit sharing. On-farm housing is available.
Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit a cover letter, resume and references.