Job title: Wholesale and Markets Manager, World Farmers
Position type: Full-Time
World Farmers is hiring a Wholesale and Markets Manager who will provide leadership and vision for cooperative crop sales among the immigrant and refugee farmers at Flats Mentor Farm. This job requires someone with the capacity and passion to build relationships with our farmers of ethnically and socially-diverse backgrounds, while facilitating and exploring new and existing wholesale opportunities with grocers, restaurants, schools, CSA customers, and more.
This position requires a high level of autonomy and initiative and requires the ability to work with a range of players. The Wholesale and Markets Manager is encouraged to participate in visioning and execution of other related programs of the organization.
– Building strong relationships with Flats Mentor farmers and understanding their sales needs.
– Expanding existing and building new relationships with buyers (stores, food hubs, etc.,).
– Planning crop availability and sales lists according to farmers’ production levels.
– Coordinating and participating in post-harvest handling and delivery of produce.
– Assist in training and assistance to farmers on business development, marketing, and whole farm planning.
– Ensuring completion of all evaluation and reporting needs for program efforts.
– Potentially working in value-added production with Flats Mentor Farmers. Qualifications necessary:
– Passion, patience, curiosity, and creativity to explore and develop new market opportunities for ethnic crops with and for immigrant farmers and communities.
– Ability to be effective in a dynamic, multicultural/multilingual work environment.
– Interest in walking the farm and speaking 1:1 with farmers of varied English proficiency.
– Flexibility, self-motivation, and working in cooperation and collaboration.
– Three years’ experience in agricultural production and/or developing and managing market sales efforts – bachelor’s degree and/or internship experience in a related field a plus.
– Detailed knowledge of handling, distribution, display, and sale of produce.
– Ability to work some Saturdays for market assessments in the summer.
– Access to and/or ownership of reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience; benefits available.
To apply, please email three references, résumé & a brief cover letter including an explanation of your interests in agriculture, working with other cultures, and/or crop sales and marketing to Jessy Gill at email@example.com. Please combine all documents into one PDF application. Application review starts immediately; interviewing to start mid to late February 2018. World Farmers is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applicants from culturally diverse backgrounds and/or historically underrepresented communities. World Farmers holds 30 years of institutional knowledge in supporting immigrant, refugee, and historically underserved beginning farmers grow and market ethnic and specialty crops in Massachusetts and beyond.
Through Flats Mentor Farm in Lancaster, MA, World Farmers assists over 250 beginning immigrant and refugee farmers with training on sustainable agricultural production and marketing techniques and cultivates a climate where cross-cultural farmer co-learning and mentorship thrives. World Farmers has successfully introduced several new ethnic crops into markets throughout Boston that are culturally relevant to immigrant communities.