Troy, New York
Community Garden Organizer
About Capital Roots – Capital Roots is striving to create a more vibrant and equitable food system in New York’s Capital Region. We work to reduce the impact of poor nutrition on public health in New York’s Capital Region by organizing community gardens, providing healthy food access, and offering nutritional and horticultural education for all ages in Albany, Rensselaer, Schenectady and southern Saratoga Counties. Our mission is to nourish healthy communities by providing access to fresh healthy foods and green space for all.
Capital Roots’ Community Gardening Program makes community food plots available to hundreds of gardening families across four counties in our 54 community gardens. The Garden Organizer will work directly with participating gardeners throughout the seasons. The Community Garden Organizer operates under the supervision of the Community Gardening Program Manager.
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s Degree and community organizing or gardening experience preferred. Excellent communication skills are essential with attention to detail. Must have a clean driving record, positive attitude, ability to problem solve, high energy level, enjoy working outdoors, and possess a genuine interest in the mission of our organization.
- Organize and lead work parties in community gardens
- Site preparation and new garden development
- Offer support to gardeners to facilitate successful gardening experiences and fruitful harvests
- Foster greater gardener involvement in gardening program
- Maintain working inventory of resources available to gardeners
- Generate and distribute materials for program participants
- Host registration and orientation sessions
- Garden maintenance and landscaping
- Keep extremely well-organized, accurate records for all matters connected to the gardening program
- Promote participation in our programming as a whole
SALARY & BENEFITS:
- This position is a full-time position (40 hours per week) paid at an hourly rate of $12.00/hr.
- Comprehensive health care coverage with fully covered employee premiums and low-cost co-pays and deductibles.
- Generous time off every year that includes paid holidays, vacation & sick time, and personal days.
- Employer funded pension plan – company contributions begin after 2 years of employment
- Eligibility for the federal government’s Public Student Loan Forgiveness program
- Flexible work environment.
To learn more about Capital Roots, go to www.capitalroots.org. Capital Roots is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to creating a multicultural organization. We actively seek a diverse pool of candidates for this position, especially candidates of color. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We will not discriminate in our hiring on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or disability.
Send cover letter and resume to:
Tara Quackenbush, Community Gardening Program Manager
Capital Roots, 594 River Street, Troy NY 12180
NO CALLS PLEASE!