Farm Crew Member
Ripley Farm – Dover-Foxcroft, Maine
Location: Dover-Foxcroft, Maine (40 miles west of Bangor, Maine)
For questions regarding this position please contact Gene Ripley at email@example.com.
The Ripley Farm crew is efficiently growing five-acres of MOFGA Certified Organic vegetables using hand tools and tractors. The crew understands how important quality vegetables are to customer satisfaction and is passionate about our CSA program’s ability to help.
When growing, crew members are focused on producing healthy crops efficiently and competently. When ready to harvest, they use the discerning eye of the customer to bring in beautiful vegetables. Members of our crew must be able to pack a CSA box with confidence.
Ripley Farm Core Values:
At Ripley Farm we are passionate about growing great vegetables and believe the CSA model is the best way to connect people to more and better vegetables. We believe beautiful produce tastes better. We love our soil. We think working fast is fun. We understand good communication to be the key to team success. We are always learning and expanding our contribution. We compete against our best efforts and believe the sky is the limit.
Caught the farming bug and want a year-round position with potential for growth and impact? Read on.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare ground, plant and cultivate crops
- Propagate seedlings for transplanting to fields
- Harvest, wash and pack crops for sale
- Deliver products to customers
- Record field and harvest activities
- Maintain equipment and facilities
- Build new infrastructure
Compensation and Hours: $11.00-$12.00 per hour starting rate, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The job runs full-time 40 hours per week during spring, summer, and fall from late-April until Thanksgiving. Half-time hours during the winter months of December through April.
- We offer Workers Compensation.
- Free organic vegetables from our farm.
- The successful candidate will have the opportunity to continually develop their knowledge, skills and abilities in small-scale organic farming. We will hold an annual performance review with an opportunity for pay raise and increased responsibility based on the results.
Note: Thanks to farming here for nearly 10 years, we have a strong network of friends and customers in the Dover-Foxcroft area. We are happy to use our contacts to help you find affordable housing within 15 miles of the farm.
- No prior farming experience is required
- one year of small-scale vegetable farming experience strongly preferred
Experience with any of the following relevant skills is a plus: machinery/tractor operation and maintenance, basic carpentry, plumbing, electrical, welding, etc.
The Successful Candidate will…
- Have the ability to use and maintain small-scale agricultural tools, equipment and machinery;
- Exercise good judgment and demonstrate initiative and active engagement in the work;
- Work well independently and in team environment;
- Demonstrate excellent reliability and punctuality;
- Demonstrate the ability to prioritize and organize details;
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills and mathematical skills.
Position Special Requirements
- Must possess a valid class C driver’s license, a clean driving record, and have reliable transportation.
- Must be able to competently operate a vehicle with standard transmission.
Farming is physically rewarding and challenging work. We care about our employees’ safety and well being and have developed the following information to reflect the reality of the job’s expectations. With or without reasonable accommodation, the successful candidate must be able to work in all weather conditions including extreme heat, sun, cold, rain, snow, wind, and with many biting insects around to:
- Maintain a fast and accurate working pace all day;
- Move objects up to 50 pounds repeatedly;
- Spend long hours squatting or kneeling;
- Perform repetitive and monotonous tasks.
How to Apply:
We are accepting applications until the position is filled. Applicants must be able to appear for a working interview on the farm. Please send completed applications to Gene at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following items:
- A cover letter addressing why you are a good fit for the job
- A resume that must include the names of previous employers, duration worked, previous job titles, and primary responsibilities
- Three work-related references with job title and contact information
- For questions regarding this position please contact Gene Ripley at email@example.com.
- No phone calls, please. We will not consider incomplete applications.