New Lebanon, New York
5 Abode Rd, New Lebanon NY 1212
The Abode of the Message is a Sufi Interfaith community and retreat center with focuses on Spirituallity, Philosophy, Cultural/Religious Diversity, Ecology and and Environmental Activism.
The Abode has positions open in its food services operations, beginning in May 2018. If you are interested in helping nourish our visitors, guests and community, or know someone who might be, please let us know!
Abode Program Kitchen
The Abode Kitchen is a community-focused, predominantly organic and locally-sourced operation. During events, the Kitchen serves between 25-150 guests at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Weekend availability is mandatory. Paid or Volunteer/Work Exchange positions available.
The Programs Kitchen Head Cook manages food preparation and service for event programs in two kitchens: one on our Main Campus and one as part of our Mountain Retreat Center. The Head Cook works closely with the Kitchen Manager planning schedules, menus and projects for volunteers, while acting as our primary Head cook for programs.
- Ability to cater large events for up to 175 people
- Ability to create and implement healthy, vegetarian menu plans utilizing local, seasonal produce.
- Ability to manage kitchen staff in conjunction with kitchen manager.
- Ability to communicate in a friendly and professional manner with Abode community, staff and program guests.
- Paid or work-exchange positions for room and board are available
The Village Café’ located at the Abode of the Message is looking for a few good men/women! We are a spiritual community nestled in the mountains on New Lebanon NY and recently opened an exciting new coffee house and café.
The café’ manager is responsible for leading a team in an efficient and profitable operation at The Village Café’ for the Abode. He/she is responsible for managing the day-to-day store operations, maintaining sanitary standards and conditions, and fostering a positive environment, which provides friendly service and a welcoming experience for both our residents and guests.
- Maintains a clean well-merchandised café’ following visual presentation plans and food quality standards.
- Must be able to work weekends, evenings and special events if needed.
- Well-organized, detail-oriented and able to multi-task.
- Must have effective problem solving/decision making abilities
- Friendly, positive and a can-do attitude a MUST!
- Accountable for growing sales and controlling costs of goods, inventory levels, labor, supplies and expenses.
- Ensures proper team coverage by scheduling according to the needs of business especially during peak season and major events.
- Trains and on-boards all new associates with daily functions of the POS system, café’ house policy and procedures. Ensures each team member can provide a welcoming environment and customer service.
Barista’ and Café’ Associate
The Abode Village Café’ is looking to fill hourly PT Seasonal positions available to start in May 2018.
We are seeking friendly, positive team members to assist and support the Café’ Manager with the daily operations and functions of our community café’.
- Must be flexible with scheduling needs according to season and on-site community events. Café’ associates are expected to work weekends, holidays (when necessary) and major events.
- Experience helpful, but we are willing to train the right person! Eagerness and commitment to help grow the business
- Wages based on experience and availability a plus. Paid and work-exchange positions available.
To apply, please forward a brief cover letter indicating the position you are interested in, relevant job experience and/or a resume to: email@example.com.