Job Description: Communications and Outreach Manager
Position: Communications and Outreach Manager
Status: Regular, Full-Time, Exempt
Hours: 40 hours per week, Sunday-Thursday. Evenings, weekends, and holidays on occasion.
Reports to: Senior Manager of Philanthropy and Communications
About Coastal Roots Farm
Coastal Roots Farm (CRF) is a nonprofit community farm and education center. We cultivate healthy, connected communities by integrating sustainable agriculture, food justice, and ancient Jewish wisdom.
Since our inception in 2014, Coastal Roots Farm has provided dignified access to fresh food for those who need it most. Inspired by Jewish agricultural practices, we raise organic crops and share the harvest with our community through pay-what-you-can farm stands, Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) programs, and direct donations to local hunger relief organizations. Through field trips, workshops, agricultural festivals, and community events, we offer hands-on education and invite our neighbors to connect to the land and each other.
Coastal Roots Farm is located in Encinitas, CA on approximately 15 acres of land. Our Farm consists of vegetable gardens, greenhouses, a food forest, animal pastures, compost systems, and a vineyard. Coastal Roots Farm was incubated by the Leichtag Foundation and received 501(c)(3) public charity status in 2016.
The Communications and Outreach Manager will connect Coastal Roots Farm with its community through visual and verbal storytelling, clear educational materials, informative Farm visits, and expanding its existing audiences. This will entail establishing overall communications goals and strategies; developing, editing and sharing content; and managing the Farm’s social and digital media tools. The right candidate will exhibit strong writing and speaking skills, ability to simplify agricultural and Jewish concepts for a diverse audience, a good eye for visual presentation and design, and a welcoming disposition.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop and curate content for regular newsletters, email campaigns, blog, and videos.
- Design and prepare marketing collateral, press releases, reports, and presentation slides.
- Support Farm development efforts by crafting donor and donor prospect communications, informational pieces and fundraising campaigns.
- Manage and organize digital assets.
- Develop public-facing materials and engaging outreach tools to complement and drive support for Farm programs.
- Draft talking points and enriched materials for Farm team.
- Design strategy for the Farm’s presence at external events and represent the Farm at select events.
- Lead Farm tours as needed for specific groups.
Digital and Social Media:
- Develop strategy and regularly publish web and social media content to support Farm’s programs, events and social enterprises.
- Maintain the Farm’s website and blog.
- Maintain the Farm’s social media handles; track and evaluate stakeholder engagement.
- Monitor and constructively engage in relevant online conversations.
- Advise, train, and support staff on use of digital media tools.
- Develop positive relationships with media and respond to media inquiries.
- Work with outside consultants and resources to place op-eds, stories and articles in a variety of publications.
- Manage volunteers supporting communications functions.
- Provide staffing support at Farm events and capture testimonials from client-facing enterprises.
- Attend regular programs and communications meetings as appropriate.
- Attend regular Farm team meetings as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experiences
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum of three years of communications strategy and implementation experience including strong experience with social and digital media.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- Familiarity with Jewish heritage, traditions, and practice.
- Passionate about Jewish community farming, food justice, and/or food systems development.
- Experience working with digital media, social media, web design, publishing and customer relationship management tools.
- Passionate about effective visual design.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Adobe Suite.
- Ability to work independently, set priorities and see projects through to completion.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship development skills.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Superb internal and external customer service abilities.
- Open to new ways of working with diverse communities and organizations.
- Eagerness to experiment to attain new, better strategies, approaches, work products and solutions to challenges.
- Flexibility to take on a variety of tasks and work in a highly collaborative, team environment.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- Experience working in a nonprofit or philanthropic organization.
- Experience writing for audiences interested in food or farming.
- Experience writing about Jewish heritage and practice.
- Very skilled in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
Reports directly to the Senior Manager of Philanthropy and Communications.
Salary commensurate with experience. Coastal Roots Farm offers a competitive benefits package.
Typical Working Conditions
The Communications and Outreach Manager will work inside an office as well as outdoors on occasion. There will be exposure to Southern California outside temperatures, chemicals used in the agricultural industry, and loud noises.
Essential Physical Tasks
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Continual walking, standing, climbing, stooping, bending, kneeling, reaching, lifting, cutting and carrying.
How to Apply
Please go to https://coastalrootsfarm.org/the-farm/#job-opportunities to apply online.
Coastal Roots Farm is an equal opportunity employer.