Orchardist, Assistant (Full Time)
Pietree Orchard, Western Maine – Oxford County, Sweden, ME.
Hourly Wage: $15-18/hour, commensurate with formal education & experience. Health insurance, 2 weeks vacation and independent housing is supplied.
Full-time, 40-55 hours per week, according to season. Monday – Friday work schedule is expected, with additional evening and/or weekend work required at times. The Assistant Orchardist will be responsible for, with the guidance of the Orchardist, maintaining and expanding our farm’s 15 acres of tree fruit production. We bring 60 varieties of apples (some heritage) and other tree fruit to our market to sell. The orchard uses IPM production for our trees which range from standard sized to high density fruiting walls. The Orchardist is eager to share his extensive knowledge of over 30 years of apple growing throughout the North East and will provide on-the-job training for this position. We are seeking a person who is interested in joining us to learn the art and science of apple growing and then to take on the Head Orchardist role as he retires in 8-10 years.
Pietree Orchard is a 400 acre vibrant, diverse farm, whose primary location is in Sweden, ME – on a ridge in the foothills of New Hampshire’s White Mountains. The McSherry family established this orchard in the mid 1930s and we purchased it in 2008. Our focus is to continue to grow great local food and help strengthen our local community. Today, across three farm locations, we focus on tree fruit, vegetables, maple syrup, hay and baked goods and are expanding into new crops and farm fresh products each year. This position will be based at the main farm located in Sweden, Maine.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
This position, with the guidance and direction of the Orchardist, will be involved in:
- planting and orchard layout
- tree training
- fruit thinning
- fruit harvest, recordkeeping and storing
- various orchard management tasks
- assisting in supervision of seasonal help
- working with field crew when needed
- assisting in set up and maintenance of equipment, including sprayers.
Knowledge and Skill Qualifications:
This position requires:
- Associate’s degree in horticulture, agriculture or a closely related field
- Internship or one year of work experience in horticulture or a related field.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple tasks in an autonomous work environment as well as work effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to travel both in and out-of-state, requiring a valid driver’s license.
- Participation in state and regional conferences and continuing education events.
- Ability to routinely lift 30 to 50 pounds.
- Completion of Agricultural Basic Pesticide Applicator license within a year after hire.
- Comply with food safety requirements.
- To develop and maintain professional relationships that reflect courtesy, civility, and mutual respect.
- Ability to communicate effectively using oral, written and electronic methods.
This position prefers:
- Bachelor’s degree in horticulture, agriculture or a closely related field and three years of work experience in horticulture or a related field.
- Knowledge of Integrated Pest Management (IPM) in tree fruit production.
Schedule for Evaluation: With Orchardist, in the initial six months of employment then annually thereafter.
Please submit cover letter, resume and three professional references by May 18, 2018 to Cathryn Kloetzli at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will continue to accept applications until an exceptional candidate is found. We hope to have the successful candidate start their career with us by July 2018.