Position Description: Youth Programs Coordinator
Now Hiring: Youth Programs Coordinator at EarthDance Farm
EarthDance Organic Farm School is seeking applicants for the AmeriCorps position of Youth Programs Coordinator. The successful candidate for this position will work to expand EarthDance’s Youth Exploring Agriculture & Health (YEAH!) programs to serve more children and families by developing new partnerships with groups that serve youth to provide farm-based education and enrichment to more low-income youth. The Youth Programs Coordinator will work with young people ages 5-21 around fresh food, nutrition awareness and cooking skills, and empowering youth to become food leaders.
The position will begin in August 2018. AmeriCorps positions entail a 12-month commitment, but may become a full-time permanent position pending funding and organizational need.
Mission: EarthDance sustainably grows food, farmers, and community, one small farm at a time, through hands-on education and delicious experiences.
Position: Youth Programs Coordinator
Location: EarthDance Organic Farm School, 233 S. Dade Ave, Ferguson, MO 63135
Hours: 40 hours/week
Job Description Summary:
EarthDance is seeking a self-motivated and resourceful individual with excellent communication, educational, and interpersonal skills to serve as our Youth Programs Coordinator. The highly qualified candidate will possess an understanding of youth education, nutrition and cooking awareness, organic farming/ gardening, and passion for the good food movement.
The Youth Programs Coordinator will:
-Develop partnerships with groups that serve youth
-Provide farm-based education and enrichment to more low-income youth
-Recruit, train, and retain adult volunteers to serve as Field Trip Docents in order to increase EarthDance’s capacity to serve large groups of youth.
-Develop “on the road” food and farming related eating lesson plans for drop-in school visits
-Promote EarthDance’s programs– seasonal youth employment, teen volunteer opportunities–through outreach to schools and other avenues for connecting with young people.
-Experiences teaching and/or coaching youth
-Professional, friendly, and enthusiastic personality
-Some experience in horticulture and/or agriculture
-Public speaking experience
-Experience working independently and in a team environment with successful outcomes
-Demonstrated strong time management and organizational skills
-Ability to work effectively in a demanding, high-energy environment and manage multiple priorities, while maintaining a sense of humor
-Experience working with low-income and diverse communities
-Passion for the good food (sustainable agriculture + food justice) movement
-First Aid Certification
-Knowledge of agricultural and food system issues
-Proficiency with Google Drive and Google Calendar
- Office Based (45%)
- Develop lessons to bring farm and healthy-food related learning into schools
- Develop a docent program to support delivery of field trips at EarthDance
- Recruit, train, and retain at least 5 adult volunteers to serve as Field Trip Docents
- Provide support, encouragement, and appreciation to active docents
- Promote, schedule and plan Field Trips and youth education opportunities
- Develop EarthDance’s off-campus educational offerings for classroom based seed-to-table and STEM programming
- Community Based (15%)
- Promote EarthDance’s programs, like seasonal youth employment, teen volunteer opportunities, through outreach to schools and other avenues for connecting with young people
- Trial in-school offerings with a goal of delivering developed curricula to a full-time youth educator by fall of 2019
- Establish partnerships to expand the reach of YEAH! Programming to reach more youth
- Teach nutrition lessons and encourage young people to eat fruits and vegetables to help them start a lifelong habit of healthy eating
- Farm Based (40%)
- Lead field trips and train docents for field trips on the farm
- Gain familiarity with farm operations, crop management, etc. to effectively communicate to students and docents
Time Requirements: This is a full-time position, requiring 40 hours/week. Compensation: AmeriCorps VISTA living allowance (approximately $1,000/month), end-of-service education scholarship, health care coverage, and an EarthDance CSA Share
-Reliable transportation to and from the farm and outreach events
-Use of personal computer or laptop and cell phone
To Apply: To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants will also need to apply through AmeriCorps. Position open until filled.
For more information on EarthDance Organic Farm School, visit www.earthdancefarms.org