Stanfordville, New York
Bear Creek Farm is an innovative and growing flower farm that uses sustainable practices to grow premium dahlias and peonies in the beautiful Hudson Valley, New York. Recognized by New York Magazine as the “Best Dahlias” in this our third year, we are seeking an energetic, self-starter with an organized mind who enjoys working on complex multi-faceted projects to join our team.
Passionate about flowers, the farm supervisor will be directly managing and coordinating activities of horticultural workers and will help add structure to all operations from the seeding schedule, to weeding, to harvest and post-harvest handling both in open fields and high tunnels. The supervisor is directly responsible for keeping workers on task and ensuring that flowers are properly grown, harvested and distributed. At times, the physical duties of the job may include assisting in soil prep and harvest. This will enable the owner to focus more on marketing and rapid growth. The supervisor will be involved in every aspect of creative problem solving and managing people.
We look forward to receiving your application. Thank you in advance for your consideration.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Crop production health and yield for flower acreage from 3 to 8 acres
- Managing daily schedules of harvesting and packing
- Quality control and inventory procedures
- Soil analysis, pesticide and fertilizer scheduling and application
- Proactively troubleshooting and problem solving
- Mentoring and motivating growing farming team
- Ensure equipment is well maintained
- Inspect facilities to determine maintenance needs
- Lead continuous improvement to operating efficiencies knowing the confines of a small budget
Qualifications and Skills
- 3 years commercial farming experience, 2 years in a managerial role
- Ability to work carefully and quickly, with precision and extreme attention to detail
- Positive, upbeat, can-do attitude, willing to get hands dirty and work hard, not just supervise
- Be comfortable working with people of all ages and backgrounds
- Must have a clean drivers license
- Knowledge of farm equipment machinery and repairs
Please note that we are very sorry but given time constraints, only those applicants with commercial farming experience will be considered for this position and will receive a response. Applicants with other very positive experiences such as landscaping, gardening, etc., though very viable and interesting, unfortunately will not fit these requirements.
Compensation commensurate with experience; above average remuneration for floriculture training. Bonus program based on individual and farm performance. Weekly flowers.
Our farm is an equal opportunity employer. All candidates, regardless of race, gender, age, or sexual orientation, are encouraged to apply. Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org