Production Farmer & Kitchen Gardener for The Herbfarm Restaurant
The Herbfarm is a one-of-a-kind AAA 5-diamond-rated restaurant serving 9 course chef–selected menus for a 4-hour dining experience. The restaurant has had its own farm for 30 years and uses only locally sourced ingredients in its 20 different menu changes each year. It is America’s only 5-Diamond Restaurant north of San Francisco and west of Chicago.
Position: Herbfarm Restaurant Production Farmer/Gardener, a full-time, year around position.
Location: The Herbfarm Restaurant and Farm in the Sammamish Valley, about 25 minutes northeast of Seattle, Washington
Gardens/Restaurant: 14590 NE 145th St, Woodinville, WA 98072
Supervisors: The Herbfarm Chef and the General Manager
Phone: 425-485-5300 Email: email@example.com
Overview: Maintain the Herbfarm Restaurant’s 5-acre production farm that grows, harvests, & delivers high quality herbs, eggs, and produce to our restaurant. Animal care. Oversight of on-site display gardens. Oversee staff/volunteers. Computerized tracking of crops and harvested produce. Flexibility and willingness to work hard and sometimes long hours in all weather.
- Creating and maintaining growing schedule for The Herbfarm farm based on the chef’s
- Planting. Cultivating. Weeding. Harvesting to kitchen specifications. Transplanting. Seeding. Trellising. Irrigation.
- Operating a tractor, walk-behind tractor, rototiller, and mulching
- IPM and biological soil & plant management for sustainable techniques. Composting.
- Occasional interaction with public when restaurant classes & events are at the farm or at educational events.
- Care of apiary, pigs, chickens.
- Oversee farm
- Oversee, train, manage, keep happy: Assistant Farmer and small team of seasonal workers and volunteers.
- Represent The Herbfarm in local community agricultural organizations and
- Communicate consistently with the General Manager and The Herbfarm
Experience and Qualifications:
- 2+ full growing seasons experience with row crop vegetables and culinary herbs (preferably in Western Washington or similar climate)
- Creative skills to manage all aspects of mixed vegetable, fruit, flower, & herb production
- A long term interest in farming & local food production
- Good physical condition: able to lift 50# repeatedly with stamina &
- Simple tinkerer/fixer with basic carpentry skills
- Experience with small gas powered machinery, i.e. rototillers & mulching mowers
- Experience driving tractors and using farm implements
- Be self-directed and comfortable working alone AND be a team player reaching for shared goals
- Strong communication skills—written and verbal
- Experience managing growing and harvest data
- Understanding of IPM, biological soil and plant management
- Works well with others and alone takes direction well
- Self -starting, motivated
- Dependable, timely
- Takes pride in work well done Organized and tidy
- Guest oriented
- Cares for staff
- Creative AND willing to take artistic direction Must be interested in food
- Communicates well Trustworthy and honest Doesn’t give up easily
Send resume and cover letter. Come by for a tour of restaurant and garden any day between 10 and 3. Direct emails to: firstname.lastname@example.org
More details available–