The Herbfarm Restaurant Lead Assistant of Farm & Gardens
Position: Farm & Garden Manager’s Assistant—average 30 hours per week. Year ‘round employment. Full thyme mid-April-October. Part thyme November-March. Wage: DOE
Location: The Herbfarm Restaurant, 14590 NE 145th St, Woodinville, WA and the farm in Redmond on 124th.
Phone: (425) 485-5300 http://www.theherbfarm.com
The Herbfarm Restaurant began as an actual herb farm in Fall City, Washington. We started serving educational luncheons in a garage in 1986. We then moved to 9-course dinners matched with wines. Ingredients are always local and often from our own farm. Chef-Selected menus have themes which change every few weeks.
After a fire in 1997 which destroyed the restaurant/garage we re-opened in the heart of Woodinville Wine Country with 6,000 sq ft of gardens and a 5-acre farm just up the valley. We aim to create the finest dining experience in the world through welcoming decor, great service and food. Guests are toured through the Garden pre-dinner.
The Herbfarm is the only AAA 5-Diamond rated restaurant west of Chicago and north of San Francisco.
Overview: Take lead, under Head Farmer/Gardener with:
The Farm: All aspects of 5-acre production farm–seeding, plant propagations, plant/supply shopping, watering, feeding, weeding, transplanting, animal care. Daily harvest with great detail & delivery for kitchen needs. Irrigation systems, tractor use & care, tool/supply organization, composting, maintenance of farm infrastructure (fixing things). Supervision of seasonal staff and volunteers. Guest tours.
The Garden: Maintenance & design of food related plantings of raised beds and surrounding public display gardens at The Herbfarm Restaurant site ensuring gardens are presentable for guest viewing, weddings and tours at all times. Incorporate representative plantings of herbs & vegetables on current menus. Coordinate with Willows Lodge’s Department of Natural Beauty for hardscape lodge’s needs. Indoor plants. Combine creativity, whimsy, and function.
Be ready to be the lead when the lead is off.
- Outdoor work in all types of weather– hot, cold, wet, windy
- Organized, organizer, & persistent
- Hard, manual labor
- Professional, friendly guest & staff interactions
- Work at least 50% of weekend days
- Accuracy and consistency and cleanliness in daily kitchen harvest/delivery
- Thoughtful about tasks and striving for quality and efficiency
- Work on own and as leader of a team at farm and garden
- Daily care of livestock
- Communicate clearly and timely via email, text, in person.
- Care and training of pet pigs
- Tidiness and safety with tools & hoses
Experience and Qualifications:
- 2+ years experience in commercial/public farm or garden with vegetables, herbs, edible flowers in the Pacific Northwest.
- Experience seeding, and propagation in and out of greenhouse setting
- Bed and landscape design experience a plus
- Tractor experience a plus
- Farm animal care/beekeeping experience a plus
- Physically capable–wheelbarrows, shoveling, hauling, bending, weeding, composting
- Strength–able to lift 40# repeatedly in the course of a day
- Understanding of IPM, biological soil and plant management and market farming helpful
- Knowledge but also willingness to learn about new plants and methods
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Windows, Outlook, Excel, Word, Dropbox
- Some supervisory experience
- Communication skills-oral and written
Works well with others and alone Organized/Organizer
Self starter, motivated Dependable, timely
Takes pride in work well done Customer oriented
Sense of humor Leadership skills
Takes and gives direction well Interest in cooking/fine dining
- Work for a place you can be proud of
- A year ‘round position where you can get your hands dirty and participate in creating the finest dining experience in the world every day.
- Medical and Dental insurance
- Paid vacation/PTO
- 401K Plan
Email resume and cover letter to The Herbfarm Restaurant at email@example.com