Nelson County, Virginia
Assistant Cattle Manager
At Hawk’s Journey Farm, we combine Biological farming, Restoration Agriculture, Permaculture and Holistic Management to raise livestock, perennial food and herbs, and annual crops. We build the things we learn into training programs through our outreach and education company Simple Soil Solutions. Our mission is to heal ourselves and our community, starting with the soil. We are located in Gladstone, VA and border the James River. For more info about us: Please check our websites at http://simplesoilsolutions.com/ and http://abc-beef.com, and our videos on VIMEO and YouTube
We are building our core team for the long run, and need a full-time person (40 – 50 hrs/wk) to work mostly with our grass fed beef cattle operation, under the direction of the Cattle Herd Manager and farm owner. We pay a living wage, invest in amazing training opportunities, and offer many other benefits as well.
We are seeking a full-time, healthy, hardworking, detail oriented person who knows they want to work with regenerative and holistic cattle operation as a life path. We do have openings for internships, but for this position we are looking for a long term team member.
Are you generally happy and positive? Do you have a passion for soil building and rebuilding our earth and communities from the ground up? We believe in the power of intention and the law of attraction. We work as a team with a lot of openness and trust, and willingness to take accountability for our own feelings and choices. We believe that working on ourselves is the foundation for societal change. We want to share deeply on our unique paths of personal transformation as we mirror ways we can help each other grow.
Think of this position as joining a loving, healthy family. We support each other when we are down, and are honest with each other even when it hurts. We believe in positive change from both joyful and painful experiences. We want to FEEL and TUNE IN to our emotions fully and learn the messages underneath them, for we see that there is gold beneath the challenges that teaches us about our spiritual growth.
Job tasks would include but are not limited to:
- Setting up, taking down temporary electrical fence daily or several times daily (lots of walking on hills and in tall vegetation in all types of weather, year round)
- Practicing low stress cattle handling techniques
- Feeding hay, free choice cafeteria style minerals, and other supplements, and natural treatments such as essential oils
- Cleaning water troughs daily
- Participating in on-farm research
- Making daily observations and writing log records to document what the cattle are eating (grass, hay, minerals, etc.), what treatments were applied, cattle health & habits, grazing plan, and others as season and animal health dictates
- Pushing out round bales by hand (with assistance when needed)
- Loading/unloading hay (square bales) by hand
- Fence building/repair
- Operating farm equipment, vehicles and trailers
- Awareness/Mindfulness work with animals