Marketing and Communications
Job Title: Marketing and Communications Coordinator
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary Range: $40,000-$42,000
Green Plate Special (GPS) is a rapidly growing organization that is ready to expand its operations with a full-time marketing and communications professional. This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious early- to mid-career professional to join a fast-paced team committed to helping youth experience food in new ways through gardening, cooking, and eating together. Based at GPS’s 30,000 square foot garden and teaching kitchen in the Rainier Valley neighborhood, you’ll join a small team with big ambitions and bigger visions!
Mission and Programs
To empower and inspire youth to experience food in new ways through gardening, cooking and eating together. GPS works with youth ages 9-14 to foster interest and passion in food growing, cooking and healthy eating. The youth, families, and program partners we serve come from very diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
We are looking for a strong team member as our Marketing and Communications Coordinator who will creatively communicate the story and mission of GPS through visual and written communications and design. You will promote our visibility through all media forms as well as develop and instigate a marketing strategy in close partnership with the Executive Director (ED). This position requires someone who is excellent at planning, developing and can implement all current and new GPS marketing and communication tools (website and design tools such as Adobe Suite). Our collaborative, supportive, and energetic work environment requires someone who enjoys physical activity as well as time at the desk. We require all employees to participate in all aspects of the organization in order to genuinely position and represent GPS in the community.
- Creates content and messaging for all social media (Facebook, Instagram, website, blog posting, newsletters)
- Produces compelling written and visual content and communications, such as year-end appeal, letters of thanks, newsletters, fact sheets, and promotional materials
- Takes the lead in visual design and as the program photographer
- Serves as the lead event planner and executes these events, including GPS primary yearly fundraiser
- Sits on the External Affairs committee as the Committee Lead
- Manages the organization’s photo library
- Supports the Operations Coordinator on direct mailings, list preparation and production, and fulfillment mailings.
- Represent GPS at community events, provides tours of the garden/kitchen, and proactively cultivates community opportunities and relationships
- As part of a small team, there will be plenty of exciting “other duties” as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Visual Arts, and/or Journalism will help you receive a first interview
- 2 years minimum in marketing and communications, either paid or volunteer
- This is an entry to mid-level position but tenacity, a quick mind, and ability to dig-deep and learn through active research is necessary
- A demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to apply racial, gender and economic lenses to all marketing and communication language and strategy
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs, design software (Adobe Suite), fundraiser systems and databases such as Salesforce.
- Knowledgeable and skilled in Excel and Power Point
- Must have experience with web content management systems and basic HTML
Background and Skills
- Excellent oral, written, and listening skills.
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Creative, solutions-oriented and visual thinker
- Solid time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; willing to take initiative on new projects
- Willingness to learn and grow into this position
- Thrives in a fast-paced nonprofit environment with a strong commitment to mission fulfillment
- Interest in learning funding and development strategies –highly valued
- Interest in food growing and cooking –highly valued
- Must pass a Washington State and national criminal history check
- Must obtain a Washington State Food Handler’s card within 30 days following employment
- A car is required for this position
- Continued learning and professional development opportunities in marketing and communications
- A monthly benefit stipend provided to all employees. Paid sick leave, holidays and vacation pay
Green Plate Special is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Green Plate Special does not and will not discriminate based on race, sex, socio-economic status, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, ancestry, ethnicity, marital status, religion, differences in ability, or military status in personnel operations. This includes hiring and firing of staff, recruitment and acceptance of board members, volunteers, or recruitment and acceptance of students. We are committed to creating a progressive, diverse, and inclusive environment for our staff, board members, volunteers, students, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
We strongly encourage people of color to apply.
Email ONLY: email@example.com
- Cover Letter
- 3 professional or education-based references