Spear Spring Farm, LLC May 2018
Field Manager Job Description
Spear Spring Farm is an historic 150-acre diversified farm dating back to 1736, located in Warren, Maine. The farm has been vacant for a few years and we are seeking an experienced field manager for 2018 to help us bring the farm back into production. A small bunkhouse (brand new!) may be available for the right person if housing is needed.
Spear Spring Farm is committed to “organic practices”. We are not a certified organic farm at this time, but we farm in harmony with the land and using organic methods. We will be planting a wide diversity of vegetables, flowers, perennials, and herbs, which we expect to sell primarily through our on site farm store, CSA, and wholesale accounts. We may also choose to add livestock and other farm activities down the road. We place a special emphasis on building soil health and sustainable ecosystems that are efficient and in harmony with the land and would love for someone with a passion for sustainable agriculture and out of the box thinking to join our team. Since we are rebuilding, this is a great opportunity to see and participate in the shaping of a sustainable and profitable farm. If you want to work hard, eat well, love your job, and have fun doing it, then join us at Spear Spring Farm!
Timeframe: We are seeking to a field manager and two full time employees from early March through late November 2018. There may be the potential for continuing part-time work through the winter months.
Work description: Spear Spring Farm is a new endeavor to restore an historic farm and bring it back to beauty and full production. The field manager will work closely with the President of the farm business to implement and manage the production schedule and complete weekly goals, managing the farm staff and activities in an efficient and professional manner. The primary job responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing all farm labor – training and scheduling, ensuring safety protocols are met, working alongside your team to ensure efficient use of time and resources, teaching wherever possible and creating a happy, hardworking farm environment that values our employees’ input and unique experience
- Planting seeds, seedlings and vegetables/shrubs/trees
- Managing the greenhouse
- Weeding, fertilizing, maintaining fields and growing areas
- Helping to restore the farm (Store, Fields, Workshop, Roads, Etc.)
- Harvesting vegetables by hand
- Washing and packing vegetables for sale
- Possible delivery of vegetables
- Manning the farm store
- Tractor work
- Possible maintenance work, such as painting, building stone walls, landscaping, cleaning grounds (buildings, fields)
- Possible care of livestock
- Pruning trees and orchard care
Hours: We are hiring for up to 40 hours per week. Additional hours may be available in May/June and September/October should you desire to increase your hours. Work hours are between 7am and 7pm (somewhat flexible depending on what needs to get done) with a one-hour lunch (bring your own) taken around midday.
Compensation: The Field Manager will receive $15/hour. If housing is required then wages will be negotiated depending on the housing agreement. Surplus and/or second quality produce may be available to farm employees free of charge, depending on the harvest. Other perks and incentives for hard work and a great attitude are offered throughout the season.
Location: Warren is only 15 minutes from the ocean and the neighboring towns of Rockland and Damariscotta (great food, theaters, museums, and a vibrant local community), and only 25 minutes to Camden/Rockport. The farm boasts sweeping views of fields and the Camden Hills in the distance, 3 ponds, frontage on the St. George River and ample woods. We have a nesting pair of Barred Owls in the back fields and a nearby lake with beach that’s accessible by a short walk. There is a vibrant local food community, along with many area activities and festivals that make the MidCoast of Maine a great place to live and work!
Housing: On site housing may be available in the form of a small 12’ x 24’ bunkhouse with private bathroom and electricity. Housing is provided as part of employee compensation.
Pets: Well-trained, friendly pets are welcome with prior approval and at the owner’s discretion. There are already two dogs on site at the farm. Well-behaved dogs must be under owner’s voice control, get along with all people (including children) and our dogs. Spear Spring Farm is located on Rt. 1 in Warren – a busy road, where the speed limit is 55 and visitors to the farm pull through to visit the farm store. The road hazard is real and the safety of your pet is entirely your responsibility.
- Farming and manual labor experience preferred
- Tractor experience a plus
- Punctuality, honesty, reliability are required!
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Attention to detail
- Stamina to maintain fast and accurate working pace all day
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Valid driver’s license
- Reliable transportation
- Positive outlook and good sense of humor
How to apply:
No phone calls, please. We are accepting applications until the positions are filled and will only consider complete applications. If you are interested in working at Spear Spring Farm, please e-mail the following items to: email@example.com
- A one-page letter introducing yourself, describing your farm related experience, your availability (which days of the week you are able to work) and why you want to work at Spear Spring Farm…
- A list of recent/relevant work history (or a resume) including names of previous employers, duration worked, and primary job responsibilities
- Three work-related references with job title and contact information
We will respond to all completed applications that are received.