Seminary Hill Farm
March 27, 2015- October 2, 2015
Seminary Hill Farm is a Certified Organic farm in greater Columbus, Ohio located on the campus of the Methodist Theological School in Ohio. We currently grow for our campus dining hall, CSA, and local farmers markets. We grow in two passive solar hoop houses and 4 ½ acres of field production.
Apprentices will participate in all of the aspects of day to day farm work including but not limited to:
- Tractor Work
- Drip Irrigation
- CSA Distribution
- Farmers Market
Apprentices can expect to work 40-50 hours per week with some weekends and evening hours required. Apprentices will receive a weekly stipend, housing, and food as outlined below:
- $185 per week stipend and an additional $25 per week bonus to be paid at the conclusion of the season
- On-campus studio apartment (includes utilities, internet and cable, taxes apply)
- Free meals from the dining hall, when it is in operation (lunch), and a free CSA share during the course of the CSA.
These apprenticeships require an individual to be able to work long days, lift 50+lbs. and be able to kneel, bend, and walk for extended periods of time.
More information can be found at our website Seminaryhillfarm.org or on our Facebook page facebook.com/seminaryhillfarm.
If you are interested in beginning a rewarding career in small scale agriculture please send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Seminary Hill Farm and Events Coordinator
Methodist Theological School in Ohio- Seminary Hill Farm
The mission of Seminary Hill farm is to provide the campus dining hall, our catering service, surrounding local restaurants and our growing CSA with a healthy, locally grown organic product. The Methodist Theological School seeks to connect the student body and their ecology and faith programs with a hands-on experience which will contribute to future community leader’s commitment to local, sustainable agriculture and good food.
Location: Delaware, Ohio
Status: Full time salaried, Non-Exempt
Reports to: Manager of Farm and Food
Job Summary: Responsible for CSA member communication, farm and events scheduling, commercial kitchen duties, expense and revenue tracking, hoop house work, transplanting, weed control, side-dressing and irrigation, harvest, washing and packing produce, transplanting and tending to strawberries and blueberries, attending farmers markets, pruning and trellising high tunnel tomatoes…and more. This position requires a high degree of flexibility. Job duties will vary with the season (farm) and the dining and catering service (spring and fall).
- Maintain a clean, safe and organized work environment
- Develop a weekly CSA news-letter (seasonal)
- Track expenses and revenues and report monthly to the Manager of Farm and Food
- Assist in seeding, watering, harvesting and maintenance of hoop house (2) and farm under the direction of the Farm Supervisor and Manager.
- Assist in CSA member communication and distribution
- Harvest tracking and documentation
- Aid in kitchen work when applicable (prep work, front of house)
- Minimum one year of organic farming experience
- Minimum two years organizational administrative assistance experience or combination of experience and education
- Passion for local food and sustainable farming
- Experience in a commercial kitchen atmosphere a plus
- Social Media management experience a plus
- Ability to work well with others
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word
- High degree of flexibility
- Ability to work in a team oriented atmosphere
Sous Chef Farmer
Methodist Theological School in Ohio- Dunn Dining Hall and Seminary Hill Farm
The mission of Seminary Hill Farm is to provide the campus dining hall, our catering service, surrounding local restaurants and our growing CSA with a healthy, locally grown organic product. The Methodist Theological School seeks to connect the student body and their ecology and faith programs with a hands-on experience which will contribute to future community leader’s commitment to local, sustainable agriculture and good food.
Title: Sous Chef Farmer
Location: Delaware, Ohio
Status: Full Time Salaried, Non-Exempt
Reports To: Manager of Farm and Food
Job Summary: MTSO and Seminary Hill Farm are seeking an ambitious and highly motivated Sous Chef Farmer to lead the kitchen to culinary excellence. This is a hands on position which requires attention to detail and the experience/knowledge to develop recipes and menus for a kitchen which prides itself in serving only hyper local and seasonal products. This position requires a candidate who is able to operate with autonomy while managing all aspects of a commercial kitchen. The candidate should be flexible, highly motivated and modest enough to pitch in on cleaning, dish washing and general kitchen duties while possessing the leadership skills to develop creative, seasonal menus and delivering a first class experience to the campus.
The kitchen currently operates three days per week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) for regular dining service and caters for on campus events (typically bi-weekly weekend events). The kitchen operation follows the flow of campus. This means that during the spring and fall months we can be quite busy with food service and catering events, while summer months will be spent aiding in field production on our 5 acre Certified Organic farm. We would also like to develop farm dinners for our CSA members and the surrounding community. This is an exciting opportunity for a candidate who is passionate about local food and who possesses the knowledge and skills to develop an up and coming culinary experience in a campus setting.
- 1-2 years’ experience as a Sous Chef
- Experience in developing scratch recipes and menus
- Culinary education preferred
- Experience in training staff
- Catering experience preferred
- Serve Safe Certified
- Ability to operate a kitchen in a fair, fun and humble environment
- Ability to operate a commercial kitchen in a clean and organized fashion
- Passion for local sustainable agriculture and seasonal menus
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment