Part-time Education Coordinator
Start date: Late January 2017
Land’s Sake Inc., an educational community farm and land stewardship organization located in Weston, Massachusetts, is seeking a part-time Education Coordinator from the last week of January to the first week of November. The position has a flexible schedule with 10-35 hours each week, with seven weeks of full time work in the summer.
Working closely with the Education Manager, the Education Coordinator will be responsible for teaching farm-based education programs for schools, after-school programs, events, sugaring tours, family programs, and summer programs. The coordinator will also lead outreach programs and assist with program development and marketing. The Education Coordinator will work on all components of Land’s Sake’s educational programming with a flexible schedule depending on the tasks required at any given time.
The coordinator will take a leadership role of the summer Green Power program. Green Power is a local food immersion program and includes time spent working on the farm and community service field trips with local food organizations. The coordinator/Green Power program leader will be in charge of up to 12 middle school youth for week-long, full day programs. Activities include teaching youth about the farm, and creating a meal made with local ingredients. The coordinator will set and design the Green Power schedule and curriculum as well as manage program logistics.
The successful candidate will be highly motivated, organized, great with teaching a large range of ages, and a team player. Previous farm or professional garden experience is a must as well as comfort working around a variety of animals including chickens, rabbits, sheep, and goats. Other helpful skills include experience working with InDesign, carpentry skills, artistic ability, etc.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead field trips, after school programs, volunteering days, and farm tours throughout the year
- Oversight of Summer Green Power program including coordinating program related logistics, specifically with adjunct educators, community partners/organizations, Land’s Sake staff and Supervision of Green Power staff, i.e. high school and college age Junior Counselors and Program Assistants
- Assist with management of the Junior Farmer Field and Children’s Garden
- Coordinate and lead outreach efforts
- Assist with the management of a variety of livestock
- Assist with overall development of the Education Branch and Land’s Sake programs
- Assist with other non-education related tasks as needed
- College degree in horticulture, farming, environmental science, environmental education, etc required or related field highly desired
- Teaching and/or youth leadership experience in a school or non-traditional setting with proven ability around youth safety, group management and discipline
- Experience in a leadership role at a camp, after school program, or other youth program
- At least one full season’s experience of farm work or experience in garden planning/management
- The ability to multi-task and work independently
- Respectful, clear and patient interpersonal communication skill set that allows for collaborative work across departments
- Strong written communication skills
- Professional character that is consistent, capable, self-directed, well organized, flexible, personable, and is able to maintain composure in a changing environment
- Access to a car and valid driver’s license
- Must be able to pass CORI check
- Current First Aid and CPR certification (or willingness to get)
- Basic computer and office skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc
- Knowledge of second language a plus
- Flexibility to work occasional nights and weekends
- Must be able to lift and carry up to fifty pounds
Salary & Benefits:
- Salary: $15/hour
- Professional development opportunities including trainings in areas of job
- Partial Healthcare reimbursement
- Organic produce and flowers grown on the farm
Please send a resume, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply. Preference will be given to those candidates who can start ASAP.