Medway Community Farm began with a vision of healthy local food, community connections, and food education. MCF is a not-for-profit section 501(c)3 organization, cultivating 6+ acres of Town of Medway land on three fields. Through the generosity of our community in support of our events, purchases at our farm stand, and participation in our three seasons of CSA shares program, our mission is sustained and our community expands.
Mission: To maintain a place that enhances Medway’s rural character, fosters community spirit and encourages “learning from the land” by providing locally grown food, volunteer experiences, educational programming, and public events. http://medwaycommunityfarm.org/
Medway Community Farm – Farm Manager Position, Medway MA
The Farm Manager is responsible for overseeing all aspects of production, developing, and executing the Farm Operations Plan. The Farm Manager provides leadership to Assistant Farm Manager, Growers, and seasonal farm staff, maintaining a safe and welcoming environment for the team and community. The Farm Manager is a steward to the land and facilities, fostering a productive farm that nurtures the surrounding ecosystem and the people who work at and visit the site. The Farm Manager works with the Education Coordinator on education programs and outreach as well as identifying and implementing opportunities to serve the local community, aligned with the Medway Community Farm Mission and Goals, in coordination with the Board of Directors.
Full time 1-year contract offering competitive salary, Vacation/Holiday Time off, Health Insurance Stipend, and on-site housing (reduced rent).
- Responsible for farm operations including yield, production schedules, equipment, and employee supervision.
- Supervises and participates in daily farm operations that include: machinery operation, soil preparation, planting, irrigation, cultivating, harvesting, and storing of hay and other forage crops.
- Recruit, hire, and directly manage seasonal field staff.
- Organizes, schedules, assigns, and reviews the work of assigned farm employees.
- Develops and implements safe work methods and procedures of all phases of farm operations and ensure compliance with all related safety regulations, including review of facilities and equipment.
- Conducts orientation and training sessions for farm workers, students, and volunteers at the farm.
- Perform basic maintenance and improvements on farm infrastructure, facilities, and equipment.
- Assist field crew in planting, weeding, pruning, and harvesting crops, and fill in as needed.
- Provide animal care, including safe environments for community visits and education programming.
- Develops long-term and short-term plans for the farm operations and CSA plans and recommends changes and improvements in farm operations, staffing, facilities, and equipment.
- Contribute to the farm business planning by providing expertise on farm enterprises including cropping systems, varieties, volumes, inputs, and capital investments
- Implements currently developed annual budget and makes requisitions for supplies and equipment as needed, and prepares succeeding year’s plan.
- Maintains records on farm activities, production, and budget expenditures and provides fiscal reports, working with Board Treasurer on a regular basis.
- Support overall operations as a member of the farm leadership team through active participation in meetings, reports, proactive communication, and collaboration with the Board of D
- Partners where appropriate with Education Coordinator on student activities as part of their educational program.
- Coordinates the use of farm facilities for special events, tours, and film crews.
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with shareholders, vendors, and the community.
- Performs related duties as assigned.