MOFGA LOW IMPACT FORESTRY COORDINATOR
Primary Responsibilities: supporting MOFGA’s Low Impact Forestry Program (LIF) activities and its network; helping to expand the scope and capacity of MOFGA’s LIF Program.
Supervisor: Educational Programs Director
Work Week: This is a year round position, requiring 20 hours of work per week (1040 hours per year). Exact schedule will be determined by LIF program needs and work plan, in consultation with the Educational Programs Director. Great flexibility is necessary as more time will be needed surrounding workshops and events and will frequently require evening and weekend hours.
Position: The position is non-exempt under the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act. The employee in this position is eligible for overtime pay, however work hours are limited on a weekly basis, and it is unlikely that the employee will ever work overtime hours.
Required Abilities and Knowledge:
- Ability to work well independently as well as with staff, volunteers and the public
- Effective management and organizational skills including experience managing volunteers and participants of various ages and abilities
- Strong oral and written communication skills including understanding of and ability to work with various forms of communication media
- Ability to work effectively within a non-profit structure
- Understanding and commitment to the mission and vision of MOFGA and the LIF program
- Ability to manage many short- and long-term projects simultaneously
- Demonstrable leadership experience
- Understanding of current and historical practices in forestry, the commercial forest industry and the extraction of forest products
- Ability to think critically and creatively around current forestry practices, the forest products industry and their relationship to ecosystems and human communities
- Physical ability to traverse a forest in all seasons and all weather conditions
- Access to a personal vehicle and ability to travel long distances for meetings and program activities
- Coordinate between LIF Committee initiatives and MOFGA staff, including:
- Facilitate event planning and implementation with Events Coordinator
- Coordinate LIF press releases, announcements, mailings, new media and website activities with MOFGA Communications Director
- Engage with other MOFGA program areas to develop collaborative programs, coordinate activities and represent LIF
- Facilitate relationships and partnerships with other organizations
- Perform outreach with other private and public organizations to support LIF offerings
- Communicate with MOFGA membership regarding LIF activities and practices, including:
- Serve as primary contact for MOFGA membership with forestry concerns
- Manage content for LIF column in quarterly MOF&G
- Serve as primary staff liaison to the LIF Program Steering Committee
- Report regular program updates to Educational Programs Director as needed for reporting, program development and updating the Board of Directors
- Work with MOFGA Education and Development Departments to secure funding for LIF activities
- Assist in the planning of capital improvements, maintenance, and special projects on the MOFGA grounds relevant to LIF
- Carry out the responsibilities listed above in accordance with the mission, vision and values of the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association
Candidates for the position should submit applications, including a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to: email@example.com. The committee is currently reviewing applications and will begin interviews May 2, 2018.