Practical Farmers of Iowa is Hiring a Strategic Initiatives Assistant
Practical Farmers of Iowa is seeking a diligent, respectful and passionate person to serve as assistant for the strategic initiatives team. For over 30 years, Practical Farmers has worked to equip farmers across the state (and beyond) to build resilient farms and communities. The strategic initiatives team works creatively to build collaborative projects between the private and public sectors that accomplish the goals of our farmer-members on the broader Iowa and Midwestern landscape.
The strategic initiatives assistant will support that team by 1) managing schedules and mailings; 2) tracking farmer completion of cost-share program requirements; 3) serving as the team’s primary event and meeting planner, 4) helping the team coordinate effectively with key partners; 5) assisting with outreach and farmer speaker coordination; 6) gathering supporting information for grant proposals and reports; and 7) providing administrative support to general field crops programming. Practical Farmers offers a flexible, fast-paced work environment with opportunities for independent initiative and professional development.
- Schedule meetings and manage calendars using digital platforms
- Respond to questions from farmers about cover crop cost-share programs
- Manage mailings and track paperwork to and from farmers
- Solicit and track farmer attendance at PFI events and partner events
- Coordinate logistics of field days, conferences and other events (i.e. RSVPs, food, venue prep, expense tracking)
- Staff field days and conferences as needed (i.e. moderating sessions, taking photos, helping with event set up and clean up, selling merchandise, taking notes)
- Assist with writing, editing and proofing of articles and promotional materials as needed
- Assist with tracking and meeting project deliverable deadlines
- Represent PFI at field days, meetings and conferences with key partners and constituencies
- Support general field crops program activities
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Characteristics
- Strong writing, public relations and other general communication skills required
- Ability to schedule, organize and conduct events required
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel required
- Two or more years of experience in meeting and event planning and/or administrative support for a high-performing team with external partners preferred
- Experience with G Suite applications (Calendar, Sheets, Drive, etc.) preferred
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately in a fast-paced team environment
- Ability to communicate effectively with farmers, farm leaders, staff, media, agribusiness and the general public
- Enthusiasm for project development and implementation
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work on several tasks at once.
- Detail oriented and well organized
- Flexible and adaptable
- Ability work independently and within a team
- Motivated and a self-starter
This is a full-time position based in our Ames office. Salary is competitive, based on experience and qualifications. This position requires some travel (mostly in Iowa), a valid driver’s license, the ability to lift 50 pounds and the ability to walk long distances.
The position reports to Alisha Bower, strategic initiatives manager. Practical Farmers is a family-friendly employer. The position includes full health care benefits, a flex plan, short- and long-term disability, life insurance and generous paid time off. Employer contribution to a 401k retirement plan is offered after one year of employment.
Please apply by sending cover letter, resume and references to Alisha Bower at email@example.com by Friday, May 11, 2018.