Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Organic Farm Crew at Green Spark Farm – Full Time
Green Spark Farm produces vegetables year-round, and cut flowers, garden seedlings, and herbs in season in coastal Cape Elizabeth, Maine. We grow rare and uniquely flavorful and colorful produce. We employ between four and seven employees on the farm from April to November, and one person year-round. We produce beautiful vegetables for the Greater Portland community, selling through our on-farm stand, CSA, restaurants, and at the Portland Farmer’s Market in Summer and Winter. All our farm products are certified organic by MOFGA Certification Services, LLC.
What we are looking for: We are looking to hire employees who are able to commit to a full time work schedule for the main season from April to November. There is opportunity for one person to stay on year round and work with us producing winter greens and prepping storage crops for market through the winter (2 days/week December through March, when spring season begins again).
Hours: The hours at Green Spark Farm are consistently 40-50 hrs a week. We work 8.5 to 10 hours a day, depending on the season. There is opportunity for more hours.
Work: There are many types of work on our farm. Primarily work days are filled with harvesting, washing and packing vegetables for market, potting-up seedlings, planting, weeding, and construction projects. All of these tasks require focus to ensure efficiency for the farm’s viability. Please be prepared for fast physical labor in any weather.
Pay: We pay $12/hour starting wage with an August and September bonus as well. We take a half-hour lunch break that is unpaid.
There is no housing available on the farm. Rental housing can be found can be found 7-15 minutes from the farm in South Portland, Westbrook, Portland, and Scarborough.
We want you to come away from your time at Green Spark with more farming knowledge than when you started. If you have questions or special interests, please communicate them to us. We are willing to share everything we know about running a farm business with those serious about farming as a career.
To Apply: Please email with your resume and brief letter of interest with three references. We require on-farm working interview before hire. While farming experience isn’t necessary, we prioritize applicants with the following experience: commercial agricultural experience or equivalent physical labor in construction, carpentry, landscaping, trails crew, etc.
Assistant Farm Manager Ripley Farm
Location: Dover-Foxcroft, Maine (40 miles west of Bangor, Maine) Website: www.ripleyorganicfarm.com
For questions regarding this position please contact Gene Ripley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Ripley Farm: Ripley Farm is a five-acre MOFGA Certified Organic farm located in Dover- Foxcroft, Maine. We cultivate a wide diversity of vegetables and perennial nursery stock, which we sell primarily through our Summer CSA, our Winter CSA, and wholesale accounts. Our mission is to grow and deliver the healthiest crops to our Maine customers and rebuild the tradition of seasonal eating. If you are interested in a farming career to produce healthy food, this is the job for you.
Work Description: Full-time, year-round position for a hardworking person who is passionate about making a career in sustainable agriculture. The Assistant Farm Manager works closely alongside the owners to manage and complete the varied jobs of organic crop production including to:
- Prepare ground, plant and cultivate vegetables and perennials Propagate seedlings for transplanting to fields
- Harvest, wash and pack vegetables and perennials for sale Supervise farm crew employees
- Deliver products to customers Record field and harvest activities Maintain equipment and facilities Build new infrastructure
- Plan growing season
Compensation and Hours: $12.00-$15.00 per hour starting rate, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The job averages to 40 hours per week year-round (50 weeks per year). Shifts in excess of 8 hours plus weekend and evening work may be required during the peak season, which may be balanced with slightly reduced winter hours.
Overtime hours are paid at time-and-a-half. We offer Workers Compensation.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to continually develop their knowledge, skills and abilities in all aspects of managing a small-scale organic farm. We will hold an annual performance review with an opportunity for pay raise based on the results.
Note: Thanks to farming here for nearly 10 years, we have a strong network of friends and customers in the Dover- Foxcroft area. We are happy to use our contacts to help you find affordable housing within 15 miles of the farm. Continue reading
Ararat Farms is currently hiring for a Farm manager/ field crew manager for upcoming season and winter planning. Must be experienced, knowledgeable and hard working. offering competitive pay and accommodations including five-star living quarters contact email@example.com or 207-356-7598 to inquire.
- At least two full seasons of vegetable farm production experience with demonstrated tractor/implement experience and reference(s).
- A valid driver’s license and a clean driving record.
- Strong organizational skills, with particular attention to details and efficiencies.
- Demonstrated physical strength and motivation to maintain focus for the season.
- Good interpersonal skills, clear communication style and a sense of humor.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team. As a crew leader, the assistant manager will be guiding apprentices and hourly employees while communicating with the farmer to organize the operation as a whole.
- This position is best suited for a self-motivated person who wants to pursue a career in farming.
MAINE COAST HERITAGE TRUST
GENERAL MANAGER, ALDERMERE FARM/ERICKSON FIELDS
Maine Coast Heritage Trust is looking for a general manager for Aldermere Farm and Erickson Fields in Rockport, Maine. We need a person who is passionate about community conservation and agriculture. The manager supervises a professional staff, and must have hands on farming experience, as well as budgeting, communications, community engagement and excellent people management skills. This is a job for someone who wants to jump in, become engaged, and support the work of the Farm, and of Maine Coast Heritage Trust.
Under the general supervision of the Director of Stewardship, and working with a professional staff, both at the Farm and throughout Maine Coast Heritage Trust, manages all aspects of operations and programming for Aldermere Farm and Erickson Fields.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manages the land and resources of Aldermere Farm and Erickson Fields, including maintaining the Farm’s blue ribbon herd of cattle and its many buildings and performing tasks such as haying, wood cutting, snow removal, shingling, and other light carpentry on a seasonal or year-round basis.
- Supervises management staff at Aldermere Farm and Erickson Fields.
- Develops and implements programs and projects that further MCHT’s mission and meet community objectives. Identifies and creates programs related to agriculture, community well-being, etc.
- Markets and sells cattle, beef, semen, hay, vegetables and farm equipment.
- Develops and manages a budget of over $785,000 for Aldermere Farm and Erickson Fields. Approves most expenditures and participates in fundraising efforts.
- Establishes and maintains effective public, consumer, and customer relations. Establishes and maintains MCHT’s presence in the community and strives to build community good will and respect for the Trust whenever possible.
- Hires, trains, and supervises all Farm staff to ensure that responsibilities are carried out in an effective and timely manner. Assigns work and reviews performance.
- Performs special projects and other related duties as required, directed, or as the situation dictates.
- Long work days, including night and weekend work, are expected.
Supervises the staff at Aldermere Farm and at Erickson Fields. Supervisory responsibilities include interviewing and selection, training and development, adherence to safe working practices, scheduling, counseling, discipline, termination, evaluating performance, and recommending pay increases.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field with seven to ten years of experience in farming and operations management and communications. Master’s Degree helpful.
- Ability to promote and maintain positive public relations and to interact with a wide variety of people.
- Working knowledge of and on the ground experience with farm operations, budget development and administration and small business functions. Cattle breeding experience is very important.
- Strong planning, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to effectively oversee and supervise staff and operations.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to effectively operate computers and assigned software.
- Physical ability sufficient to perform required tasks, including farm work (haying, tractor operation, cattle management).
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Some work is performed in an office environment in an old house on the Farm which may be cool in the winter. Operates computer, printer, projector and other office equipment.
Land and resource management is performed outdoors in all weather conditions and requires frequent walking, climbing, bending, and lifting. Operates tractor, wood splitter, truck, and other equipment, and handles cattle, hay, etc. Ability to lift hay bales weighing up to 75 pounds and bales averaging 50 pounds on a repetitive basis. Able to operate a chainsaw to fell trees. Will be required to work with cattle and an aggressive bull possibly weighing 2000 pounds. May be called in at any time of day/night for farm emergencies.
REQUIREMENT: To fulfill the duties of this position, on-farm housing is provided and acceptance is required.
This is a permanent, full-time position with a benefits package including health insurance, vacation time, and retirement.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “General Manager” in the subject line.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: October 14, 2017
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer, as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis
Maine Coast Heritage Trust values diversity and we are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Clovercrest Farm is a MOFGA-Certified organic dairy located in Charleston, ME. Our pastures, hay, and crop land span 500 acres. We milk 90 Jerseys and sell to Organic Valley. We use rotational grazing and feed a low-grain ration. If you have a strong work ethic, interest in grass-based dairying, and experience with equipment operation please consider applying for the position.
Timeframe: We are seeking to hire a full-time year-round employee for a minimum of two years. We are Master Graziers through the Dairy Grazing Apprenticeship program and can offer DGA mentoring. Please see the DGA website for more information.
- Milking and dairy barn chores
- Management of our rotational grazing program
- Management of our winter feed program
- Equipment operation- bucket loader, TMR mixing wagon, bale spear, in-line baleage wrapper, sickle bar mower, disc mower, manure spreader
Hours: 40-50 hours per week. Longer hours during forage season.
Compensation: Hourly pay is commensurate with capability level. Housing may be available.
- Livestock experience preferred
- Equipment aptitude
- Punctuality and reliability
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Attention to detail
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to work independently and offer leadership
How to apply:
No phone calls, please. We are accepting applications until the position is filled. Please e-mail email@example.com with a letter introducing yourself and your interests and capabilities. A job application will be required as well.