South Berwick, Maine
Farm experience or gardening experience is preferred.
Must be able to go through the work patiently, paying attention to detail and able to be delicate with plants.
And lifting 30 lbs or more is a must.
You will be asked to do an array of things. Watering plants will be one of those things. Cleaning water barrels and filling them with reverse osmosis water, spraying plants with vitamins among other things.
This job pays 12 dollars an hour but we will quickly move you up to 15 dollars an hour once you get the hang of it and have a good idea of how out business runs.
If you have a resume, do send it over. If not, you will be asked about past experiences and you will need at least one reference.
Interested aplicants should email Brittney at email@example.com and just tell a bit about themselves and experience with gardening or farming
Full time Farmer/Rancher position available.
We are looking to start/expand a farm in York Maine. This will include planting crops, managing livestock and a possible small scale dairy operation. Our ideal candidate will have the following skills and abilities:
- 5+ years of experience farming
- 5+ years of experience handling livestock, calving cows
- Rotational Grazing
- Irrigation systems
- Planting, Maintaining, Harvesting food crops
- Repairing/Planning/Building farm buildings and fences
- Supervising seasonal workers
- A Valid state Driver’s License
- Equipment operation (bobcat, tractors, excavators, etc)
Additional Desired Skills:
- Organic farming practices: Applying Organic Pesticides, Herbicides & Fertilizer
Please send a cover letter describing why this is the perfect opportunity for you, along with your resume.
TideLine Greens is a small organic vegetable operation located in Harpswell, Maine at Two Coves Farm. Currently, TideLine Greens operates a seasonal CSA, sells to a few local restaurants, supplies its partner public charter school, Harpswell Coastal Academy, with fresh seasonal produce, and sells direct at the Two Coves Farm Stand from May through November.
We are seeking a responsible farm manager who can take the reins and further develop the operation into an economically and ecologically sustainable business.
This position is salaried, requiring upwards of 40 hours/week June through September, and greatly reduced hours in the off season, with a ramp up period in May and a slow down period in October.
If interested in this position, please send a resume, letter of interest, and two references to Henry Gilbert at firstname.lastname@example.org
Part-Time Cheeseroom Assistant Wanted
Fuzzy Udder Creamery is a small sheep and goat dairy located in Whitefield, Maine. We make a variety of fresh and aged cheeses from cow, sheep and goat’s milk and sell at farmer’s markets and retail locations across the state. We are looking for a hard-working individual to help out in the cheese room. You must be excited about working with cheese and have close attention to detail. Tasks will include: dish washing, cleaning, packing and wrapping cheese, working with livestock, cheesemaking, and the occasional farmers market. Must be available Wednesdays, Thursday and Fridays from 12 to 6pm. The position could lead to a full-time position for the right individual. Email email@example.com and tell us a bit about yourself, why you would be a good fit for this position, and what excites you about working with cheese.
FUZZY UDDER CREAMERY
We make a variety of fresh and aged cheeses from sheep, goat and cow’s milk including fresh hand-stretched mozzarella, brie, washed rinds, gouda, tomme, alpine-style, baby provolone, fresh sheep cheese and sheep’s milk yogurt. Our sheep and goats rotationally graze on lush pasture throughout the growing season and eat excellent second cut hay in the winter months. We buy organic grain and maine-grown oats. We are committed to humane, environmental, socially conscious practices and raise our animals with lots of love and affection. In addition to milking 13 goats and 11 sheep on our farm, we buy certified organic jersey cow’s milk from Two Loons Farm in South China.
Cumberland and Falmouth, Maine
Full-time, year-round, live-in position available on a 100+ head beef & hay operation in Cumberland and Falmouth.
Duties will include handling the herd, haying, handling other animals (horses, poultry, goats), maintaining buildings and equipment, attending farmer’s markets and other sales venues, and other duties as necessary. This position will work directly with full-time farm manager and may supervise seasonal employees. Opportunity exists to branch into other agricultural products as interest and capacity allow. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, have a passion for Maine agriculture, experience with cattle and hay, and take pride in seeing things done well.
A competitive compensation package is available, including health and dental insurance, as well as a well-kept house on-site provided rent-free as part of the compensation. If interested, please send an email with resume and references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Various Locations, Maine and New Hampshire
Seasonal Dairy Farm Position: Farmers’ Market Sales (Southern ME/NH)
Farmers’ Market Sales Person $10.00/hr
Flying Goat Farm is looking for 2 or more individuals to man our farmers’ market tables at various markets through the year. Successful applicants will be friendly, patient, and willing to learn about what we do at our farm in order to communicate effectively and answer customer questions at markets. We will provide on the job training and a 3 to 4 market trial period to ensure you are a fit for our markets. Availability on Saturday mornings is a must. Total hours per week, approximately 6-12 per position.
- Pick up of all farmers’ market supplies at the farm the morning of market.
- Transportation of all market supplies to market location, set up and breakdown of table and running sales in between.
- Answering questions and communicating with customers in a friendly manner while facilitating sales.
- Security of cash box, point of sale equipment, market supplies and product during working hours.
- Return of all market supplies and unsold product directly after market close.
Successful Applicants Will:
- Hold a valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Be friendly and customer oriented
- Be punctual, detail oriented, reliable and observant
- Have an interest in and commitment to supporting the local food movement
- Be interested in all aspects of running a farmstead creamery business
Please respond via email (email@example.com) with your resume, three references and a brief cover letter describing your interest in this position.
Seasonal Dairy Farm Position: Cheesemaking (Acton, ME)
Cheesemaking Assistant $15/hr
Flying Goat Farm is looking for an Assistant Cheesemaker for our 2016 production season. We will begin cheesemaking in late April and continue to increase production through the end of May. Our production season lasts through Thanksgiving when we dry off our does. Assistant Cheesemaker duties occupy approximately up to 15-20 hours per week during peak production. Weekend and evening flexibility during the transition period of March through May is a plus, but schedule should be steady once the season’s routine is established.Flying Goat Farm is a licensed creamery in Acton, Maine. We will be milking 28 does in 2016 and expect to be producing approximately 140-150lbs of cheese weekly. Our customers include local farmers’ markets as well as locally owned and operated grocery stores and restaurants.
- Successful applicant will be trained in all aspects of cheesemaking.
- Sterile technique for handling dairy products
- Pasteurization process and documentation
- Cheesemaking procedures for different types of cheese
- Maintenance of aging cheeses
- Packaging, labeling, logging inventory for all dairy products
- Filling orders for wholesale customers
- Filling and logging cooler contents for farmers’ market days
- Be interested in a commitment through the milking season which lasts from March through November
- Be punctual, reliable, observant and detail oriented
- Be able to lift a 5 gallon pail of water (50lbs) repeatedly
- Be interested in the processes involved in operating a farmstead creamery
- Be interested in and committed to the local food movement in New England
Please respond via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your resume, three references that we may contact and a cover letter describing your interest in this position.
Farm & Field Station Manager
Posted:Mar 30, ’16
About Unity College:
Unity College, a private college in rural Maine, provides dedicated, engaged students with a liberal arts education emphasizing the environment, natural resources, and the emerging framework of sustainability science. A common interest in developing sustainable solutions to environmental problems unites our students, staff, and faculty. Recently named to the top 30 of the Washington Monthly college rankings and Princeton Review’s Green Rating Honor Roll, Unity is rapidly becoming recognized as a national leader in sustainability science.
McKay Farm and Research Station (McKay) is a 13 acre production and research farm, including 38,000 square feet of greenhouse, owned and operated by Unity College. The facility serves students, faculty, and staff at the College as well as clients and partners in the community. The current goals for McKay are to increase wholesale and retail production to net revenue generation, expand community greenhouse resources, enhance undergraduate education, and facilitate research in sustainability science.
The Farm & Field Station Manager is responsible for managing the daily operation of the McKay, including crop care, climate monitoring and regulation, systems and equipment maintenance, business administration, and supervision of student and staff workers. The Manager represents McKay and Unity College to the broader community and strives to increase the quantity and quality of community partnerships. This person also serves as a technical resource to researchers and students using the facility, and coordinates facility use among Unity College students, employees and community members.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages all areas of crop production at the greenhouse and farm including: crop scheduling, watering, weeding, climate control, fertilization, planting, harvest, post-harvest handling, and pest management
- Develops, plans, evaluates, and improves production activities for target crops & products
- Works with the Chief Sustainability Officer and Dining Manager to plan crop production for College food service
- Researches and implements methods to improve greenhouse efficiency, profitability, and overall sustainability of McKay
- Coordinates use of the greenhouse facility between Unity College students, employees and community partners and maintains master schedule
- Hires, trains and supervises workers in sustainable agricultural techniques, and plans, coordinates, and directs their activities
- Inspects farm buildings and equipment, making sure routine and seasonal maintenance schedules are carried out and repairs made when necessary, including greenhouse reglazing and winterization
- Reports infrastructure problems and works closely with Unity College staff to insure proper operation, maintenance, and repair
- Maintains equipment and tools according to recommended schedules
- Handles all aspects of business administration, such as budget management, scheduling, inventory, and records data management and analysis relating to expenses, revenue, production, and sustainability outcomes
- Maintains records and ensures compliance with MOFGA organic requirements as needed
- Assists in development and implementation of comprehensive facility safety plan, including identification and mitigation of hazards and training of personnel
- Follows protocols for safe use of chemicals and inputs, maintains certification in proper use of pesticides and trains other staff as necessary
- Ensures farm operations and practices meet health, safety, and environmental standards and regulations.
- Stays up-to-date with developments in the field in order to implement beneficial changes when necessary; this includes installing new equipment or modifying and implementing operating procedures
- Assists the Marketing department in developing promotional and informational materials planning and staffing events at the facility
- Identifies and nurtures beneficial business, research, or community partnerships both in-state and out-of-state
- Works with the Chief Sustainability Officer and Chief Academic Officer to integrate McKay into curriculum and faculty research
- Demonstrates commitment to the College’s mission of sustainability science education
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism and commitment to customer service
Follows the college’s standards of conduct
- Performs other duties as assigned