Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts
The Jamaica Plain Tuesday Club, Inc.
12 South Street
Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts 02130
The Jamaica Plain Tuesday Club, the non-profit organization that stewards the historic LoringGreenough
House in Jamaica Plain, is seeking a farmers market manager for the 2015 season. The farmers market is the anchor of the JPTC’s “Thursdays on the Lawn” event, which attracts people of all ages every Thursday evening from June through September. The market manager serves as an ambassador to the event, organizing and facilitating vendor participation, and making sure visitors are safe and engaged during the evening. This is a fun and rewarding position for someone with experience working at or running farmers markets and who holds a passion for food and community.
The position begins in February, as the market manager starts to contact a diverse group of vendors and secure participation. A large part of the role during the winter and early spring is making sure that all applications, legal agreements and permits are in order. Another key part of the role that we are looking to expand is the program planning element. Last year we worked with JP Centre/South Main Streets to offer music, programs for children, and movie nights throughout the summer. The Market Manager will take a key role on this in 2015, working with the JPTC Programming Committee to coordinate events. The Manager will also coordinate with local non-profits on a rotating basis who wish to table at the market.
Please see the formal job description below – we look forward to hearing from you!
To apply, please send a short cover letter and a current resume to Frances Harrell at email@example.com.
The Jamaica Plain Tuesday Club (JPTC) Board of Directors will hire a Farmer’s Market Manager for the 2015 market season. The market will run June through September, but the manager will have responsibilities beginning upon hire.
The Market Manager will perform the following job responsibilities:
Day of Market responsibilities:
- Coordinate set up and break down on market days (lifting up to 25 lbs. may be required)
- Stay onsite during market hours
- Set up and personally staff an information table at market
- Help represent the JPTC and the mission of the club to vendors and customers on-site
- Act as lead point of contact for any vendor and customer questions
- Monitor the grounds and tennis courts to ensure compliance with all JPTC policies
- Ensure vendor compliance with market policies
Vendor Management responsibilities:
- Locate and cultivate new vendors in order to expand the market while keeping the vendor list diverse, in consultation with the JPTC market liaison.
- Finalize vendor agreements at the beginning of the season
- Confirm weekly participation by all vendors
- Ensure all vendor fees have been paid each month
- Identify and cultivate JP community organizations for limited presence at market – e.g., JP Friends of the Library, Eliot Hall, etc.
- Implement SNAP at the market which will be new for the 2015 season
Marketing and administrative responsibilities:
- Strategically grow both the vendor and customer base of the market to increase the revenue stream to the JPTC
- Work with the JPTC Communications Committee to promote the mission of the JPTC as well as the farmer’s market through printed signage, social media, and any other appropriate formats
- Coordinate with JPTC Marketing Assistant on farmer’s market outreach and promotion
- Track and report income and expenses over the season
The Market Manager is a paid, independent contractor. They will be expected to work up to 10 hours per week as necessary, including required attendance at the market on Thursday. Other work hours and work location are flexible. This position reports directly to the Board of the JPTC, by way of a single direct supervisor as the market liaison.
The Market Manager will be paid $15/hour