Morristown, New Jersey
Grow It Green Morristown is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to create sustainable farms and gardens that provide equal access to fresh, local food and educate communities through programs focused on healthy eating and environmental stewardship. We fulfill our mission through two key properties in Morristown, the Early Street Community Garden and the Urban Farm.
Grow It Green Morristown seeks an Executive Director to lead the day-to-day operations of the organization toward achieving its mission. The Executive Director is a full-time position that reports to the Board of Directors.
The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing all operational facets of the organization, including staff management, fundraising, event execution and promotion, program development, marketing & communications, financial management and working with the Board of Directors on realizing the mission of the organization.
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Manage staff and volunteers in all organization functions
- Work with the Board of Directors to develop and/or refine long-term strategic goals for the organization, building on an existing strategic plan
- Oversee annual budget, with help from the Finance Committee of the Board, ensuring compliance with the organization’s financial policy
- Lead all donor-related activity including stewardship, donor recognition, grant writing and management and special events. Work closely with Board Fundraising Committee and Communications & Development Manager on fundraising plan, identifying individual, corporate and foundation donors, cultivating relationships and soliciting gifts on behalf of Grow It Green.
- Oversee communications and marketing strategies that promote Grow It Green Morristown’s programs and initiatives, in collaboration with the Communications & Development Manager. These may include: local, regional and national media; social media, e-newsletters & website; community events and speaking engagements.
- Represent the organization to external stakeholders, speaking on behalf of the organization at community events, conferences, meetings with partner organizations and to media outlets.
- Oversee organizational finances, make bank deposits, pay bills, issue invoices and liaise with bookkeeper to ensure accuracy of QuickBooks records
- Lead organization administration, such as government reporting requirements, insurance policies & record-keeping, as needed
- Keep board members informed of all relevant matters concerning Grow It Green by preparing monthly verbal and written reports for Board Meetings. Meet regularly with Board President.
- Other duties as assigned
Successful candidates for this position will have at least 5 years of experience working in some combination of these areas: business or nonprofit management, fundraising, or marketing/sales. A Bachelor’s degree is required; a Master’s degree is preferred.
- Passion for Grow It Green’s mission and an interest in urban agriculture
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and management skills, and the ability to effectively communicate with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Must be dependable, kind, organized, flexible and have a sense of humor
- Excellent writing skills and ability to produce a variety of written deliverables, ranging from grant applications, press releases, newsletters and social media
- Experience planning and leading events
- Strong attention to detail is a must
- A strong work ethic and ability to work independently with minimal oversight
- Spanish fluency is a plus