New Haven, Connecticut
INTERIM FARM MANAGER
Common Ground is a center for environmental learning and leadership in New Haven, Connecticut where a diverse community of children, young people, and adults cultivate habits of healthy living and sustainable environmental practice. Farm meets forest meets city on Common Ground’s 20 acre campus at the base of West Rock Ridge. The site abuts the 1500 acre West Rock State Park, sharing hiking trails, wildlife, and diverse natural habitats with the surrounding forests. Common Ground delivers three tightly knit programs on site and in the community.
- Common Ground’s college preparatory Charter High School uses the site and the City as an organizing principle of its curriculum which is guided by an ecological framework that recognizes the connection and interdependence of all living and non-living things.
- The Environmental Education Center receives more than 12,000 community members/year who participate in festivals, field trips, after-school programs, and other educational opportunities on site.
- Our Urban Farm is a key resource for both the high school and community programs, as well as for the greater New Haven community. It includes both production and educational gardens used to demonstrate and teach lessons in agriculture.
Common Ground has a commitment to examining the intersection of social, environmental, and food justice issues; how systems of oppression, including white privilege, impact the organization’s work; and how resistance to those systems can offer windows into a more sustainable society. For more information on Common Ground, see www.commongroundct.org.
Common Ground is looking for an Interim Farm Manager. Our farm is a valuable resource for both the CG High School and Community Programs. It includes a ¾ acre production farm, greenhouse, four season high tunnels, compost operation and a variety of livestock. This is a full time, one season position, and offers the opportunity for someone with farm experience to build confidence running a small, sustainable, educational farm with a diversity of markets. The Interim Farm Manager will co-manage and train our Green Job Corps High School crews, adult seasonal interns, and Saturday Volunteers, in addition to supporting other school and community programming needs. Farm responsibilities include, greenhouse work, transplanting, weeding, bed preparation, harvesting, irrigation, pest and disease management, harvest and post harvest handling, animal care and record keeping.
At the end of the season (from August-October) you will be running the farm on your own (with support from farm interns, high school volunteers and our Farm Based Education Coordinator), and helping transition it from the Summer to the school year while our Farm Director is on maternity leave.
- Manage farm tasks efficiently and thoroughly in accordance with the crop plan created by the Farm Director
- Physical farm work including bed prep, direct seeding, transplanting, cultivation, pest and disease management, harvest, irrigation
- Support record keeping for invoicing, season evaluation and board reports
- Manage and work farm stands as needed
- Coordinate compost production
- Care for livestock (turkeys, ducks, chickens, goat & sheep) including mucking, maintaining yards as safe educational spaces, water and feeding
- Assist in the management of animals (order supplies as needed, research, communicate with veterinarians, etc..)
- Schedule chore rotation
- Co-Manage weekly Farm Stand
- Coordinate small CSAs for staff and students
- Managing sales to our HS Kitchen sales
- Support our Spring Seedling Sale and run our small Fall Seedling Sale
- Communicate and organize produce for restaurants participating in our large Common Ground Fundraiser- “Feast”