Cate Hill Orchard, a sheep dairy and organic apple orchard, is seeking two farm interns for our upcoming busy fall season.
Apple Picker/Shepherd/Farm Helper, August 15-October 15 2017, starting stipend $150/week plus room and board, Join our fall crew! Main job will be picking and sorting apples, but you will also help out with sheep chores (milking, pasture work, rotational grazing); vegetable garden and harvest; berry picking; cider making; farmers markets; wood stacking; honey extracting; and more. Located in the beautiful and remote Northeast Kingdom, we are a small, diverse permaculture/organic family farm, with a 5 acre apple orchard; a small sheep dairy; and an apiary . 40 hours a week. Housing is a bedroom in our farmhouse, possibly to be shared with another farm worker. Most meals will be prepared and eaten together. Heavy lifting required– a bushel of apples weighs about 40 lbs.
To apply, please send a letter of interest ASAP to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For more info on our farm, and more detailed job description, see our website catehillorchard.com. Thanks!
New Paltz, New York
Twin Star Orchards in New Paltz, NY is seeking a farm manager to oversee the day-to-day management of all orchard operations. Twin Star Orchards is the home orchard for Brooklyn Cider House, an award-winning craft hard cider company. Twin Star features a mix of dessert and heirloom cider apples. The farm’s underlying philosophy is that “ugly apples taste better.” This philosophy translates into low-impact farming practices that produce “ugly” yet delicious fruit for our hard cider and for our pick-your-own business in the fall. With a small but dedicated team, the farm manager is responsible for carrying out the mission of ugly apples on the 200-acre property.
- Manage crew of 4-5 orchard workers
- Coordinate pest management, pruning, thinning, trellising, harvesting with the support of a consultant and crew leader
- Maintain detailed records
- Ensure equipment and grounds are well maintained
- Develop market for apples
- Capital planning
- General administration including payroll, bookkeeping, etc.
- 2+ years of farm management experience
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture of a related field is preferred but not required
- Extensive knowledge of apples, fruit, or stonefruit
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Excellent communication skills (Spanish language ability is a plus)
- Passion for sustainable agriculture and quality food (appreciation for hard cider is a plus)
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with other members of the team
- Pesticide applicator license or desire to secure licensing
Work Schedule and Compensation
This is a permanent, salaried position averaging 50 hrs/wk, but can range from less than 40/wk to 60/wk, depending on season, Monday throughFriday or Monday through Saturdays during harvest. Competitive salary commensurate with experience. No benefits are available at this time.
155 N Ohioville Road, New Paltz, NY 12561
Send résumé, cover letter, and 3 references to email@example.com. The position will remain opened until filled, with a target start date of May 15, 2017.
Cate Hill Orchard is looking for farm interns for the upcoming season. We are a small diverse family farm located in Greensboro, Vermont. We have a five acre organic apple orchard, a 50 head sheep dairy, and a 30 hive apiary, as well as a small flock of chickens, a few pigs, and lots of small fruits and berries.
The farm intern(s) would be involved in all aspects of the farm; however, helping with sheep would be the bulk of the work– rotationally grazing; milking; mucking out the barn; moving lambs to distant pastures; fixing fences, health checks. Other work would include: berry picking; apple thinning; mulching, weeding, and mowing around berry plants; vegetable gardening; chicken and pig care; apple harvest; farmers markets.
The shepherd position goes from May 1-October 15. Interns will get room and board, plus $150/week stipend. Rooms are in our farmhouse, with a basic outdoor kitchen shared with other interns. We are on a back road, 5 miles from the nearest small town, so a car is a good idea.
Farm experience is helpful but not necessary– mainly we are looking for people with a genuine interest in learning! Must be willing to work outside, in heat or cold, rain or shine, black flies and all. The farm intern will have an opportunity to learn about organic, small scale sheep dairying; cheesemaking; organic apple orchard management; natural beekeeping, and more.
For more about the position, and other farm intern positions, check out our website catehillorchard.com. To apply, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Farm Assistant: Field Work, Sales & Specialized Tasks
Easy Pickin’s Orchard is accepting applications for seasonal positions
at our fruit, berry & vegetable farm / orchard in Enfield, CT
* Job Descriptions:
We have part-time and full-time positions available, depending on the type of duty and your availability. Training for these jobs will be provided, but previous farm experience is encouraged.
We’re looking for people who enjoy putting in a good day’s work, doing a job carefully and thoroughly !
We are hiring for positions including: retail, assisting in our Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program, irrigating our vegetable fields and orchard, and maintaining the overall appearance of our farm.
- Retail: selling our produce at area farmers’ markets and at our pick-your-own farmstand; you must be available on weekends. Previous experience in a high-volume grocery, food service or other sales and customer service environment is strongly preferred.
- Assisting in our CSA program: working closely with a small team to harvest and pack weekly shares for our CSA members, and delivering shares off-site if needed. Good knowledge of, and experience in handling, fresh local produce is a plus.
- Irrigation: we will train you in how to maintain our system, which requires attention to detail and good organizational skills. Previous experience, and/or a science background, is preferred.
- Maintaining the farm’s appearance: includes mowing and weeding the orchard and vegetable fields during the week.Experience in operating a tractor and heavy farm machinery is required.
* How to Apply for these Positions:
Send your résumé with a cover letter to us at: email@example.com;
specify your qualifications for the position(s) for which you are applying.
Some of this work starts NOW, so apply ASAP !
Our season is already in progress, and runs from now through November.
* To learn more about Easy Pickin’s Orchard: visit us at our:
website: http://www.easypickinsorchard.com/ & FB page: www.facebook.com/easypickinsorchard
Starting a career in regenerative agriculture? Want to develop technical skills in grassfed beef production, dairy management and cheesemaking, or heirloom fruit tree cultivation and holistic orchard management?
The Quivira Coalition New Agrarian Program seeks applicants for its 8-month (March to Nov 2016) on-site apprenticeships at:
San Juan Ranch in Alamosa, CO
San Juan Ranch is a certified organic, grass-fed beef ranch located in the San Luis Valley near Saguache, Colorado operated by George Whitten and Julie Sullivan. The apprenticeship curriculum includes Holistic Management, animal husbandry, range health monitoring, planned grazing, herding, ranch infrastructure maintenance, improving soil by grazing cover crops on irrigated cropland, finishing process for grass-fed cattle, low-stress livestock handling, and organic certification. In addition, the curriculum may include a series of professional development opportunities. Apprentices emerge from the program with tangible skills, both technical and interpersonal, that are essential for successful employment in sustainable agriculture, and for eventual ownership and management of their own operation.
Start Date: Approximately March 1, 2016
(Apprentices will attend an orientation at the end of the week of March 15
in the Santa Fe area.)
Application Deadline: December 1, 2015
Apply at: http://quiviracoalition.org/New_Agrarian_Program/San_Juan_Ranch_/index.html
James Ranch Artisan Cheese in Durango, CO
James Ranch Artisan Cheese manages a small herd of Jersey cows for the production of raw milk and small-batch cheeses in the beautiful Animas Valley near Durango, Colorado. Operated by Dan and Becca James, James Ranch Artisan Cheese is one of several family-run enterprises on the larger James Ranch. This dairy and cheesemaking apprenticeship offers professional training for aspiring agrarians committed to a life and career at the intersection of conservation, sustainable agriculture, and artisan foods. The apprenticeship includes hands-on experience with all aspects of dairy operation and cheese production, including low-stress animal handling, milking, cheese making, affinage, biological monitoring, marketing, financial planning, Holistic Management, and land stewardship.
Start Date: Approximately March 14, 2016
(Apprentices will attend an orientation at the end of the week of March 14
in the Santa Fe area, then will officially start at the ranch March 21
Application Deadline: December 1, 2015
Apply at: http://quiviracoalition.org/New_Agrarian_Program/The_James_Ranch_Artisan_Cheese/index.html
Glocester, Rhode Island
Knight Farm located in Glocester, RI is in search of a Farm Manager.
BACKGROUND – Knight Farm is a 40 acre, mostly, apple orchard. It was owned by the Knight Family for more than 150 years until it was purchased by the current owner in 2004. The current owner is a real estate developer and purchased the farm with the intention to develop the land but fell in love with it. Early in 2008 it was decided we must make every effort to preserve such as a historic farm. It was at that time a breakfast restaurant and ice cream parlor were added at Knight Farm. It took 3 years to get the 100 year old trees back in shape. Currently the farm is a Pick Your Own/ U-Pick Orchard.
Knight Farm is looking for a FARM MANAGER with a passion to continue to revitalize the most well known and iconic farms in Northern Rhode Island.
The candidate must have minimum a BA degree or extensive (more than 5 years) experience in full time farming, Apple farming is most preferred. We are looking for the manager to work with the owner in implementing many of the following list of items. Not necessarily all at once but over time with a plan.
- Candidate must move to Knight Farm. Housing will be provided. We have the original Farm home vacant and ready for our first Farm Manager.
Apple Tree spray regiment/program – This is first and foremost the most important item on the list.
- Designing and ordering new block of tall spindle system Apple Trees
- Planting Pumpkin, Gourd, Sugar Pumpkin Patch with effective spray program and opening a Large Scale Pumpkin patch for 2015.
- Help to prepare fields and plant Corn for Maze to open fall 2015
- Working with local restaurants to plant and maintain a summer garden for sale and use at their establishments. We currently have an approximately 8000 sf garden to produce fresh vegetables for our breakfast restaurant during the growing season. Candidate will be responsible for planting, spraying and harvesting the produce.
- Co-coordinating the purchase of produce not grown at Knight Farm for sale in our produce stand during season. So we may offer a variety of produce for our customers
- Fall Season – Co-coordinating purchase of fall items if not grown at Knight Farm such as Hay, Pumpkins, Sugar Pumpkins, gourds, Mums, Corn Stalks.
- Contacting many local schools to book school tours for the Spring and Fall seasons.
- Having basic knowledge of Farm equipment and to be resourceful while maintaining and fixing equipment as necessary.
- Contacting local vendors to provide sale for early apples
- Identify new Local and Federal grants that may benefit Knight Farm and we hopefully can take advantage of.
- Help to purchase Cider press and Cider Donut making machine. Implement these products into the produce stand
Knight Farm has the ambition and resources to complete all tasks listed above but will need the help of that one special person.
Candidate will have freedom to express ideas while working with the owner to expand the business of farming at Knight Farm. The owner will provide guidance and whatever is necessary to give the best chance for success. You must bring knowledge, passion, common sense and a strong work ethic to the job.
As compensation the candidate will receive housing, breakfast and lunch daily along with an agreed salary. This is not an hourly job. Candidate must be able to manage time effectively to maintain and grow the orchard according to the short and long term plans.
If you love farming, have a passion for what you do, and would like to find a long term home this just might be the place for you.
Please send resume and or qualifications via email to KnightFarm@outlook.com
Knight Farm LLC
1 Snake Hill Road
Glocester, RI 02857