47th Ave Farm
The 47th Ave Farm has 20 years of experience running a year-round 200 member CSA and selling to award winning Portland restaurants. We are hard working, committed to continuous improvement & serious about growing great food sustainably and profitably.
We farm at two different locations:
- On Grand Island, an agricultural oasis just south of Dayton, Oregon we have 38 acres of beautiful river bottom soils. The farm is very close to the Willamette river and we grow a mix of vegetables, cover crops and pasture there. The crew at this farm lives in the Salem, Newberg, McMinnville area.
- At Luscher Farmwe partner with the Lake Oswego Parks & Rec Dept to manage 12 acres on the edge of the urban growth boundary. This historic dairy is now an amazing urban farm on slightly sloping clay loam soils. We grow a mix of vegetables and cover crops there. The crew at this farm lives in the Portland metro area.
All of our farm properties are managed sustainably using cover crops between vegetable rotations, beneficial insects, organic fertilizers, drip irrigation, conservation tillage techniques and no synthetic chemicals. This holistic farming system improves the tilth and fertility of the farmland. It also protects the woods, wetlands and communities that surround our farms.
We’re hiring for our Portland-based Harvest Manager position! This job requires at least 2 years of experience working on organic vegetable farms, and we will prioritize applicants with management experience who are interested in joining us for the long run. If you want to spend the next few years managing harvest on and learning from one of the most experienced CSA farms in Portland, Oregon – then this is the job for you!
- Job is open until filled
- Employment Start Date: Spring 2018
- Application and more info available at http://www.47thavefarm.com/jobs-at-the-farm/
The Harvest Manager will lead the crew during harvest, washing & processing of crops on the farm. To do this they work with the Farm Manager to develop a list of crops that may be harvested each week, help manage the harvest schedule, and set goals for harvest & washing times for all crops. They will be responsible for all the equipment related to harvest & washing and they will manage the loading of produce and equipment back and forth to the pickup sites. The Harvest Manager will lead the primary harvest and/or washing crew and coordinate with other harvest and/or washing crews when necessary. The Harvest Manager will be responsible for quality control, time tracking, and record keeping related to harvest. The Harvest Manager may also be responsible for receiving orders, packing & delivering to the restaurant accounts.
Year-round vegetable production involves many hours of repetitive work in all kinds of weather and can be challenging. We are looking for folks who are serious about farming and know from experience that they enjoy this kind of work!
- 2 years working on organic vegetable farms, or equivalent
- Management experience
- We will prioritize applicants who are interested in joining us for 3+ seasons.
- Disciplined, hard working, organized, responsible, independent and positive
- Ability to lift 50lbs
- Clean Drivers License
- May to Sept: Monday–Friday 6:15am – 5:30pm
- Oct to April: Monday–Friday 6:15am – 4:30pm (Includes loading & unloading from pickup sites and driving back & forth to Luscher Farm)
- CSA pickups on 4 evenings per month: Tuesday & Thursday, 5pm – 7:30pm
- Occasional Saturdays in the summer for work parties
- $11-$13/hr DOE
- 1 Whole CSA share
- 1 week paid family leave
- Unpaid time off: 5 days, May – Oct. Flexible time off in the winter months Nov – April.
- Room and board not included
The farm is a fertile learning ground for those who are willing to work hard. If you are a person with tremendous energy and enthusiasm for farming and you’re looking to take the next step forward in your farming career, we look forward to hearing from you!