Properties Management Assistant
Gilsland Farm, Falmouth, ME
Director of Properties
Maine Audubon is a widely respected conservation organization with headquarters located in Falmouth, Maine, with state-wide influence. Our mission is to conserve Maine’s wildlife and habitat through conservation, education, and citizen action. We are seeking a 30 hour per week Properties Management Assistant at Gilsland Farm in Falmouth, Maine. This is a hands-on skilled position that assists with a variety of property maintenance needs.
The Properties Management Assistant is responsible to assist the Director of Properties with day to day maintenance of Maine Audubon’s Gilsland Farm property, buildings and associated structures and facilities, in a manner consistent with Maine Audubon’s mission, in order to provide a welcoming, friendly, safe and clean environment for visitors and employees. Occasional property maintenance work also takes place off site at other Maine Audubon wildlife sanctuary properties.
Essential and Specific Functions
- Responsible for lawn mowing and weed whacking
- Perform daily building cleaning, maintenance, and trash and recycling disposal.
- Perform landscape plantings and landscape bed maintenance
- Work with a range of volunteers on an as needed basis
- Perform general building maintenance and repair projects and seasonal tasks
- Perform routine maintenance and repair on various mowers, power tools, and other landscape equipment
- Ability to work independently and take initiative to follow through on job responsibilities
- Assist with winter snow clearing operations, including snow blower operation, hand shoveling, and tractor operation
- Perform and document monthly building and site inspections
- Assist with set-up of events and programs
- Other property care related functions as needed
- Knowledge and work experience in use of hand tools, lawn mowers, power hand tools, and basic knowledge of maintenance of these tools
- Landscape/horticulture/nursery education or work experience strongly preferred
- Experience working with power equipment such as tractors, riding mowers, chain saws, and a variety of power tools
- Experience in general building maintenance functions
- Ability to operate basic computer programs
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record
- Must be able to pass a background check
- This position has substantial physical demands including the ability to safely handle heavy equipment and materials
- Able to lift objects up to 50 lbs.
- Able to frequently hike natural woodland trails, including all trails on Gilsland Farm
- Able to work outside in all seasons and weather conditions
- Able to climb stairs
- Able to drive passenger vehicles and pickup trucks
Timing and Benefits
- This is a permanent 30 hours per week position, M-F, 7:30 am – 2:00 pm, year-round. Occasional weekend work for special events
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with Properties Management Assistant in the subject title. Position open until filled. EOE.
Here is the link to the job announcement:
This is a full time, 40 hour/week, exempt position. Salary and paid vacation package is competitive. Presently, no insurance is offered. However, the Board of Directors and new Executive Director have made securing increased funding to provide insurance for all staff a high priority objective for the organization.
Montgomery Creek, California
Cove Crest Farm & Winery
21599 Hinds Rd, Montgomery Creek. CA 96065
Cove Crest Farm is nestled in the Shasta County foothills and is a diversified small organic farm. It is a 22.8-acre parcel, with agricultural activities currently conducted on 8 acres and our crop includes wine grapes, table grapes, blueberries, blackberries, an orchard and a market garden. Cove Crest’s objective is to build a thriving, sustainable farm business, rooted in permaculture principles and regenerative agricultural practices while bringing quality organic product to market.
We are located 45 minutes from Redding and 35 minutes from Burney off the 299 East.
The Ideal Candidates
We are seeking a trustworthy, reliable, hardworking, organized and efficient couple (young family welcome) who are team players, to help run our market garden and assist with other farm related chores. We ask that you are serious about farming and know from experience that you enjoy this kind of work.
May-end Nov 2018 (but not limited to)
- Some farming and growing experience
- Tractor and other mechanical skills a plus
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- Basic carpentry and plumbing skills preferred
- Ability to work in all weather conditions (summers can be hot and we have biting insects around!)
- Valid drivers license and clean driving record
- Perform repetitive monotonous tasks (i.e. weeding, some watering by hand, etc)
- Be able to spend long hours squatting or kneeling
- Positive outlook and a good sense of humor
- Be able to work both independently and as a team
- Ability to receive constructive criticism with good attitude
- Follow safety procedures
- Meet organic transition requirements
Responsibilities to include the following:
- Prepare ground, plant and cultivate crops
- Propagate seedlings for transplant into the garden
- Harvest, wash and prepare crops for farmers market
- Attend Saturday Farmers Market in Redding and present a professional, clean and friendly appearance
- Mulching and weeding
- Irrigation and some hand over watering
- Pruning and harvesting vineyards
- Some tractor work
- Maintain equipment and facilities – some maintenance work
- Help care for livestock when needed (chickens, goats, a horse, cats and dogs)
- Upstairs x2 bedroom private barn apartment with own living area and kitchen
- Produce from the farm (does not include wine J)
- Possible Farmers Market profit share collaboration opportunity to right applicants
- Monthly stipend and hours to be discussed
- Workers Compensation
We are passionate about our farm and growing great product. We think working hard is fun and communication is the key to team success. Looking forward to welcoming the right applicants into our farm family!
How to apply:
Please send applications and/or questions to Bev Walker (email@example.com) and include the following:
- A cover letter to let us know why you think you would be a good fit to our farm family
- Resume – including any previous employment and responsibilities
The Martha’s Vineyard land bank is seeking a year-round part-time land caretaker / goatherd, which position includes occupancy of a house on a rent-in-lieu-of-wages basis. Job description and employment agreement are available on the land bank website or via 508-627-7141. Applications are due by Monday, October 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm at the land bank office at 167 Main Street in Edgartown.
We are a large property in central Virginia and we are in need of a caretaker/farm person.
We are a private farm and primarily raise hay . We plan to re-establish a fish farm that we had in the past. There will be general property maintenance requirements. We require that the individual will be able to service and repair our farm equipment as well as operate it. We have 1000 acres with approx. 650 of that in timber.
Housing will be provided with fair compensation.
Job responsibilities would include:
Maintaining and repairing the various pieces of equipment on the farm:
-JD 5210 tractor
-JD 5075m tractor
-10 ft bush hog
-5 ft bush hog
-New Holland square baler
-New Holland round baler
-New Holland cutter/conditioner
-New Holland rake
-2013 4×6 JD gator
-Skag zero turn mower
-Cub cadet zero turn mower
-Chain saws, wood splitter, appliances
Maintenance of outdoor boiler
Repairing and maintaining farm infrastructure (ponds, roads)
General repair work (carpentry, minor electric and plumbing)
Mowing of fields
Haying of fields
Helping set up and maintain fish farm
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.