Del Norte, Colorado
Job Title: Ranch Hand
Hours: 50 hours per week, some weekend work – may be slightly more or less with seasonal demands
Corset Ranch is a centennial, certified organic cattle operation located in the San Luis Valley of Colorado. We currently run about 600 head of cattle and grow alfalfa and grass hay in the summertime for sale to the public and winter feeding on the ranch. We are currently looking for a full-time employee to join our team. This person will be a true jack-of-all-trades, but primary responsibilities will include irrigation (flood), cattle work and infrastructure maintenance (fences, ditches, etc.). The ideal candidate is a true team player who also possesses the ability to work independently and problem solve. We’re looking for the kind of person who dives right in and starts helping—instead of sitting back and watching others work. And someone who has an interest in learning the business, not just showing up and collecting a paycheck.
Essential Job Functions and Duties
- Flood irrigate fields during spring and summer growing seasons
- Work with cattle (including daily care, feeding, watering, minerals, sorting, tagging, castrating vaccinating, branding, etc.)
- Work on ranch infrastructure such as buildings, fences, ditches, etc. as well as road repair and maintenance as needed
- Assist in running large equipment on the farm when necessary
- Assist with manual labor tasks—ditch digging, fence building, rock picking, etc.
- Assist in maintaining ranch equipment
Required Skills & Experience
- Livestock experience—a background in animal husbandry is desired but not required
- Irrigation experience
- Basic carpentry experience/ability
- Heavy equipment/agricultural equipment operation and maintenance knowledge / mechanical aptitude
- Ability to drive a manual transmission vehicle
- Welding knowledge/experience
- Dependable and reliable
- Exceptional problem-solving skills
- Genuine interest in and care for both livestock and plants
- Flexible with a willingness to work simultaneously on a wide range of projects and the ability to prioritize tasks
- High level of self-motivation and at ease working independently when necessary
- Available to work weekends on occasion as needed
- Ability to learn new skills as needed
- Enthusiastic, creative team member—able to communicate well and demonstrate patience when necessary (both with coworkers and livestock)
- Takes pride in work environment and makes an effort to keep things clean (picking up string, trash, etc.)
Salary commensurate with experience and quality of references.
Typical Working Conditions
Work outside and around livestock, heavy and agricultural equipment, water and hay (allergens). There will be exposure to Southern Colorado outside temperatures and UV, chemicals used in the agricultural industry, loud noises and lots of dirt.
Backhoe, dump truck, bulldozer, tractors, baler, cultivator, excavator, road grader, loader, chainsaw, stack wagon, etc.
To apply, please submit a resume and at least two references to email@example.com.