Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
Restoration Farms is seeking an experienced individual to fill the full-time role of Farm Manager who will assist in the oversight and management of all aspects of the Restoration Farms farm business and farm and garden based education programming.
Reports to: Executive Director and Restoration Farms Board of Directors.
About Restoration Farms
Address: W4429 Cty. Rd. JM, Sheboygan Falls, WI 53073
Restoration Farms is a grassroots organization whose mission is to educate our community through local, sustainable food to enhance our economic, environmental, and social well-being. Restoration Farms is a new sustainable garden and farm-based education organization in Sheboygan County, Wisconsin. Restoration Farms goal is to further develop and continue to implement community education and Farm to School programming while operating a fully functional Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program that offers fresh, healthy food to needy families and groups. Restoration Farms manages a 15-acre rural farm with 2-3 acres in production and a 2-acre wheelchair accessible, urban garden.
Starting wage is $13/hr DOE.
Submit resume, cover letter, and contacts for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Sustainable Farm – Farm to School, Community Shares CSA, Wholesale Sales
- Develop and implement a production plan for properties, the farm and urban garden. This plan must achieve harvest goals for vegetables, flowers, and herbs to serve a 20 member CSA using sustainable methods and good land stewardship. The plan includes a propagation schedule, harvest goals, crop selections, plans for rotations & sequencing of plantings, cultivation, pest and disease management, harvesting, soil fertility, irrigation plan and schedule, and food safety plan.
- Manage and maintain detailed records for propagation, plantings, harvest, cultivation, post-harvest handling, CSA distribution, wholesale sales, farm to school
- Restoration Farms – Farm Manager Position Description Page 2
- sales, pest and disease management, fertility inputs, irrigation, food safety, purchases, and any other information needed to adhere to best sustainable practices and for Restoration Farms’ needs.
- Utilize, train, and communicate with volunteers and staff effectively and efficiently to best meet Restoration Farms’ needs.
- Coordinate and train volunteers to assist with farm and garden tasks.
- Manage and coordinate orders for seed and farm supplies, which includes researching the best (organic, sustainable?) products while working in accordance with the budgetary guidelines established by the Board of Directors.
- Assist with the marketing of CSA’s in the community.
- Maintain property as needed.
2. Training and Supervision
- Assist Executive Director and Education Coordinator with the recruitment and cultivation of a dependable volunteer base.
- Inspire, train, support, utilize and communicate with volunteers and staff effectively and efficiently to best meet Restoration Farms’ needs.
- Supervise and schedule volunteers and staff to meet Restoration Farms needs.
- Evaluate staff and volunteers as necessary.
- Coordinate with Restoration Farms staff to insure a safe environment for all participants and visitors.
3. Administrative and Additional Responsibilities
- Write articles for the quarterly newsletter.
- Assist the Executive Director and Education Coordinator with the development and maintenance of Restoration Farms website and all other communication materials.
- Responsible for administrative tasks related to running Restoration Farms plant and farm management records.
- Collaborate with Executive Director, Education Coordinator, other staff, volunteers, and Board of Directors for the overall success of Restoration Farms.
- Positively promote Restoration Farms and embrace community involvement through collaboration with partners; building relationships, attending meetings, and speaking publicly.
- Reliably communicate with Executive Director, Education Coordinator, Board of Directors, volunteers, workers, education participants, and community partners using email, phone, and internet communication.
- Assist in researching and writing grants.
- Assist in marketing the organization.
- Keep records of job inputs and hours.
- Attend staff, board and other relevant meetings as necessary.
4. Garden and Farm-Based Education
- Assist with the implementation of Community Education, Farm to School, and Community Shares CSA education programming.
- Collaborate with Education Coordinator to develop creative, positive, hands-on experiences for children, teens, and adults.
- Assist the Education Coordinator with communication and coordination of education programming, as needed.
- Insure high quality programming with the Executive Director and Education Coordinator by keeping thorough records and implementing outcome evaluations.
- Assist in creating educational materials, as needed.
5. Takes on additional tasks deemed necessary to operate and manage a sustainable farm as directed by Executive Director and Board of Directors.
Position Specifications and Requirements
Skills, Knowledge, and Ability
- Valid driver’s license and required insurance coverage
- Ability to travel between urban and rural sites
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs regularly
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Reliable and courteous communication via internet and phone
- Ability to follow through on commitments
- Passion for the sustainable agriculture movement, including agriculture, sustainable food systems, nutrition education and food security
- Knowledge of food safety practices on the farm
- Enthusiasm for educating our community using garden and farm-based education techniques
- Background check will be needed
Education, Training and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and/or related experience
- At least two years of farm management experience
- Experience teaching in an experiential education setting
- Evidence of teamwork and leadership skills
- Supervisory experience
- Familiarity with tractors, other farm-based equipment, irrigation, cover cropping, and pest management using organic methods
- Familiarity with crop planning and CSA production
- Experience in farm record keeping
- Ability to use computers, including experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and internet communication programs
- Excellent organizational skills, including an ability to multi-task and prioritize in a dynamic work environment
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work as a team member with minimal supervision.
Desired Experience (not required)
- Experience constructing and growing in a hoophouse / high tunnel
- Volunteer management
- Machine maintenance