Montgomery Creek, California
Cove Crest Farm & Winery
21599 Hinds Rd, Montgomery Creek. CA 96065
Cove Crest Farm is nestled in the Shasta County foothills and is a diversified small organic farm. It is a 22.8-acre parcel, with agricultural activities currently conducted on 8 acres and our crop includes wine grapes, table grapes, blueberries, blackberries, an orchard and a market garden. Cove Crest’s objective is to build a thriving, sustainable farm business, rooted in permaculture principles and regenerative agricultural practices while bringing quality organic product to market.
We are located 45 minutes from Redding and 35 minutes from Burney off the 299 East.
The Ideal Candidates
We are seeking a trustworthy, reliable, hardworking, organized and efficient couple (young family welcome) who are team players, to help run our market garden and assist with other farm related chores. We ask that you are serious about farming and know from experience that you enjoy this kind of work.
May-end Nov 2018 (but not limited to)
- Some farming and growing experience
- Tractor and other mechanical skills a plus
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- Basic carpentry and plumbing skills preferred
- Ability to work in all weather conditions (summers can be hot and we have biting insects around!)
- Valid drivers license and clean driving record
- Perform repetitive monotonous tasks (i.e. weeding, some watering by hand, etc)
- Be able to spend long hours squatting or kneeling
- Positive outlook and a good sense of humor
- Be able to work both independently and as a team
- Ability to receive constructive criticism with good attitude
- Follow safety procedures
- Meet organic transition requirements
Responsibilities to include the following:
- Prepare ground, plant and cultivate crops
- Propagate seedlings for transplant into the garden
- Harvest, wash and prepare crops for farmers market
- Attend Saturday Farmers Market in Redding and present a professional, clean and friendly appearance
- Mulching and weeding
- Irrigation and some hand over watering
- Pruning and harvesting vineyards
- Some tractor work
- Maintain equipment and facilities – some maintenance work
- Help care for livestock when needed (chickens, goats, a horse, cats and dogs)
- Upstairs x2 bedroom private barn apartment with own living area and kitchen
- Produce from the farm (does not include wine J)
- Possible Farmers Market profit share collaboration opportunity to right applicants
- Monthly stipend and hours to be discussed
- Workers Compensation
We are passionate about our farm and growing great product. We think working hard is fun and communication is the key to team success. Looking forward to welcoming the right applicants into our farm family!
How to apply:
Please send applications and/or questions to Bev Walker (email@example.com) and include the following:
- A cover letter to let us know why you think you would be a good fit to our farm family
- Resume – including any previous employment and responsibilities
Long Meadow Ranch is a family owned and operated producer and purveyor of world-class wine and food that is economically successful and socially responsible using diversified, sustainable, and organic farming methods. We produce award-winning wines, handcrafted extra virgin olive oils, grass-fed beef, eggs, and heirloom fruits and vegetables.
Job Description: We are looking for hard working and passionate team members to work on the certified organic vegetable farm and fruit orchards at Long Meadow Ranch. Duties will primarily include harvesting, planting, weeding, and general fieldwork. This is a great opportunity to further one’s farming career by being intimately involved in all aspects of an intensive and inventive organic farming and ranching operation. Come gain experience and knowledge, while doing the hard yet gratifying work of farming.
- 1 to 2 seasons of organic farming experience, specifically planting, harvesting, and post harvest handling of diverse vegetable crops.
- Experience with farmers markets and/or other direct to consumer sales.
- Experience with drip irrigation.
- Experience in the safe operation of small engine equipment (weedeaters, chainsaws, etc.).
- Spanish language skills are a plus
- Positive outlook, happy, and energetic.
- Passionate about organic farming, local food production, cooking, and eating.
- Detail oriented, tidy, and organized.
- Able to learn quickly and follow instructions.
- Self motivated with the ability to work unsupervised and within a small team.
- Interest in pursuing a career in organic farming.
- The primary duties will initially be harvesting, planting, and weeding. A successful candidate will be happy doing the same daily repetitive tasks.
- Work on all aspects of diversified vegetable operation: greenhouse transplant production, direct seeding, laying plastic mulch and amendments, installing and maintaining drip irrigation, planting, weeding, harvesting, and post harvest handling.
- Assist with organic certification record keeping.
- Work in orchards: pruning, thinning, and harvesting
- Direct to consumer sales: Farmers Markets, deliveries to restaurants, and wholesalers.
- This is a physically taxing job and is suitable for someone who enjoys hard work, long hours, and being outdoors.
Schedule: Job will start immediately. 40-60 hours per week peak season. Schedule may vary depending on the workload.
Location: Long Meadow Ranch has multiple growing locations in Saint Helena and Rutherford, CA.
To apply, visit https://boards.greenhouse.io/lmr/jobs/681663?gh_jid=681663 and click “apply now.” This position is listed as garden worker on the company’s career webpage.
ORCHARD & U-PICK OPERATIONS MANAGER
JOB DESCRIPTION: We are looking for a sharp, enthusiastic person to join Nashoba Valley Winery & Orchard. Nashoba offers a bright, active environment, with a variety of possibilities. We are winery, brewery, distillery and u-pick operation with apples, peaches, berries and plums located in central Massachusetts. The position involves working and supervising the day-to-day operations of our orchard, vineyard and plantings including the day to day production of all fruit growing and u-pick operations. This person must have experience in fruit growing, good math skills, good organizational skills and be able to effectively supervise other employees.
START DATE: As soon as possible.
HOURS: Applicants must be willing to: work additional hours as workload dictates including most Saturdays and Sundays during the harvest season.
PAY and BENEFITS: Commensurate with experience. We offer competitive wages along with medical insurance, paid holidays and personal days. Continue reading